Mods That Are Not a Waste... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Mods That Are Not a Waste...

Hey guys, I come from the SRT4 world...just bought a 2010 Cobalt SS.

There were a bunch of mods you could do on the SRT4 but as we all analyzed the actual power gains overtime, everyone realized that if you were not big turbo with over 350 or 400 hp...some of them were a waste...

For example:
The intake on the SRT4 was actually very good and the gains achieved by switching it out were very minimal and in some cases detrimental....a drop in filter did as much or more than a CAI.

Big FMIC were also a waste unless you were big turbo..and running 350 or 400 HP +
and the suggestion was a direct fit although the stock intercooler was good it was prone to heat soak and the direct fit had thicker core etc. to combat the heat soak...but the Big FMIC had crappier flow, took longer to pressurize, so throttle response became compromised a bit...

So is there any popular but ineffective modifications for the Cobalt SS that everyone agrees that they are kind of a waste...if your not running big power.?

Thanks everyone...

Yep, most of the time I am thinking...Fug it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well I can't speak for the turbos, but from experience, building up your NA with bolt-ons is a waste if you want to make actual power. I put good money into my 2.2 to come out to an anemic 145whp.

So I bit the bullet and bought a supercharger kit. Somewhere between 230 and 240whp is right around where I hope to be once it's installed and tuned, which is pretty much the limit on our engines without built internals.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
As far as the lnf, there really isn't anything that's a waste but a BOV with the stock turbo, and the cold side charge pipe. Other than that, everything else has been proven to give gains.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Oh, and the stock turbos are limited to about 360ish whp.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Yep 360/420 ish WHP/TQ with E85.

A cat back is a waste with the stock turbo, hell a local was at 450 to the wheels and still running the stock exhaust. Over 400 though it can be beneficial to switch to a 3'' cat back.

Main things on this motor are intake (K&N is the go to) and a 3'' cat less down pipe.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
Yep 360/420 ish WHP/TQ with E85.

A cat back is a waste with the stock turbo, hell a local was at 450 to the wheels and still running the stock exhaust. Over 400 though it can be beneficial to switch to a 3'' cat back.

Main things on this motor are intake (K&N is the go to) and a 3'' cat less down pipe.
You are able to get 360whp on 93, just some fyi. Byturbo and a handful of others did, but they were also running the pill mod.

Also as far as the stock exhaust, most don't realize it's 2 3/4 at the downpipe and 3 in cat back from the factory. Thus why exhaust upgrades aren't necessary.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I have been reading your Performance Q&A very informative!! Thanks for all the hard work you put into that!!

So initially you stated on the LNF engine that most mods are beneficial:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
As far as the lnf, there really isn't anything that's a waste but a BOV with the stock turbo, and the cold side charge pipe. Other than that, everything else has been proven to give gains.
..........but now you stated that the exhaust upgrades aren't necessary...??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
Also as far as the stock exhaust, most don't realize it's 2 3/4 at the downpipe and 3 in cat back from the factory. Thus why exhaust upgrades aren't necessary.

So is there anything else that you feel is not really necessary? Seems like in my SRT4, and other cars I have owned, the intake (although an easy install, fun to do and cleans up the engine bay a bit)....typically does not add anything.... Do you believe that the OEM intake on the Cobalt SS LNF is efficient and that a drop in air filter etc. is as good as a ram or cold air intake?

Last edited by SINISTER; 05-23-2014 at 09:00 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 PM

You still want a cat less DP just not a cat back.

Everyone seems to get an intake, but honestly I don't know how much it's needed. Makes it sound a hell of a lot better though so normally it's worth it to them for that alone.

YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
You still want a cat less DP just not a cat back.

Everyone seems to get an intake, but honestly I don't know how much it's needed. Makes it sound a hell of a lot better though so normally it's worth it to them for that alone.
I get what you were saying now...the cat back exhaust is already 3 inch but the down pipe can be improved due to a larger diameter and the removal of the cat.

How are you guys taking care of the cat- less codes? Are you tuning them out or using a defouler? I would think tuning them out would be obviously noticed by mother Chevy, but a defouler fools the system...at least it did on the SRT4.

Also, I know we got one exhaust tail pipe out the back....but has any aftermarket group come up with two tail exhaust and a rear bumper that accommodates two tails....this is of course completely a waste of money from a performance stand point but two tails looks so good!!

Last edited by SINISTER; 05-23-2014 at 09:30 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 PM

There was one company that used to make a dual exhaust they discontinued it. Only way now is to make a custom one like CAD did, same with the rear bumper you have to modify it yourself.

As far as I know they pretty much turn off the sensor when they tune the LNF, highly recommend a remote HP tune.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 03:39 AM
Levee
Admin

Garage
The exhaust is not a necessary upgrade on the stock turbo really. Getting a catless will free up torque and have better top end and quicker spool. I say it's not necessary because you can still max out the turbo with the stock exhaust. But it's a lot easier with a catless and you will have a bigger power band. Also, the actual muffler on the car, if you cut that off and just straight pipe it it frees up 5whp lol, and gives a good sound

Now as far as the code, you tune it out, defoukers are hit or miss on these cars.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode