Timing Chain/balance Shaft Chain - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Timing Chain/balance Shaft Chain

this is my first post (sorry didn't do an intro post) as I try to search/google everything before asking. Anyway, my car has 135k miles (06 ss/sc) and I started hearing some chain rattle. Searched and it seemed like the tensioner was the culprit. Ordered the revised one and went to replace it this past Friday. While I had the valve cover off I looked all around and noticed the front guide bolt had snapped. So now I have the timing set, balance shaft set, arp guide bolts from CED, crank bolt, and oil pump on order. A couple of questions:

1) When I pre-align the cams before removing the timing chain does this also align the balance shafts at the same time (I would think so)?
2) The upgraded arp guide bolts don't require any modification to the head/block to install?
3) The balance shaft guide bolts/sprocket bolts; are they torque to yield? My Haynes book didn't indicate they are since the Int and Exh cam sprockets it specifically says to replace but not the balance shaft bolts.

Any advice on removing the remaining piece of the guide bolt from the head? I'm trying to do all this without pulling the engine. I do have an engine lift but everything seems to say to pull the engine from the bottom which I don't think I have the means to do.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this information is readily available somewhere. I just haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
you can do the work without pulling ur motor or you can spend bout 800-900 have a shop take care of it all..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I'll be doing all the work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode