Help with SCing 2.4l cobalt ss automatic - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Help with SCing 2.4l cobalt ss automatic

Hey everyone, im new to this page and im new to modifying my cobalt for performance. Iv been doing some research regarding supercharging my cobalt that has a 2.4l engine and automatic transmission. I have tons of things im not really sure about because this is the first time i have wanted to boost a car. Im looking forward to going for a cheaper way to supercharge but if it cant be done that way no big deal. So anyway i have heard from a friend that i wont need to do anything but slap a supercharger on my engine with the new pulley and possibly bigger injectors... but i have heard that i could blow my engine even running low psi. The car has 150k on it and i havent had it for more than 10k yet. So im not really sure how well it was taken care of before. So would i need to do anything to my bottom end to make sure i dont blow it up? Im not looking to take it to the drag strip or anything just want it supercharged. So i wont really be running it to hard or anything but another thing i was curious was what size pulley would i need on the supercharger to keep a low boost like 6psi or so? Looking for the most cost effective and safest way to do this. Iv heard many different answers so i was hoping to find someone with alot of experience with the car on here. Thank you for the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
There are many things you need to supercharge your car other than the supercharger and injectors. There is a lot of information on this topic on here as well as c*****ss.net. You will need a wideband for tuning, vacuum/boost gauge, some nuts and bolts, LSJ belt, LSJ intake manifold, supercharger, at least 42# injectors, wiring harnesses, LSJ idler pulley, LSJ tensioner, copper spark plugs, intercooler pump and bracket, intercooler, hoses, gaskets, LSJ throttlebody... see: https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/eng...2-2-2-4-a.html .
Your engine should be able to handle the boost, but with 150k I'm not sure how long it will last. If you use the stock pulley you will probably make around 6psi of boost at most.

2007 Cobalt LS Ultra Silver Metallic 5-speed GMPP Catback Exhaust ZZP header and downpipe Supercharged 77.9mm pulley
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular

I would definitely recommend a stock pulley until you build the bottom end. From there, 6-8lbs of boost to be reliable, as long as your motor has been taken care of in its life. The tune will be everything for your car.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:43 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You can easily run 14psi for a long time on the stock internals.

I've been at 14-15 psi (2.9" pulley) for 75,000 miles and 6 years.

But yes - that parts list will have everything you need. If you piece it together, it'll be far cheaper than buying a kit from, say, ZZP - but it definitely takes time and patience.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Run a compression test before undertaking any serious mod like that with a high mileage car. If you have a leak, that may need to be addressed before adding boost to the system.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Run a compression test before undertaking any serious mod like that with a high mileage car. If you have a leak, that may need to be addressed before adding boost to the system.
Absolutely agreed.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Initiate

These guys make great points. It also depends what year 2.4 you have as the 2006 models came with stronger internals than the other years. But if you are worried get a compression test done and go from there.

2006 Cobalt SS/NA Sedan
2008 Dodge Caliber Hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode