The Start of the Build. 2.2 Base, Sleeper? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kkavalau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Thumbs up The Start of the Build. 2.2 Base, Sleeper?

Alright. so I've had my base cobalt for a little over a year now and all i've done to it is add a K&N sra, and some stickers (badass I know...) and i"ve been wanting to build it since the beginning. I"ve just moved to texas, been here about a month now and received a "welcome to texas gift" from a friend I met. its a t3/t4 turbo...he's owned a 600hp eclipse which threw a piston through the bottom of the block which ended its life after throwing a 150 shot of Nitrous into it. (he blew the welds on the intake!!!) and now is building a PT Cruiser and wants 6-700hp out of it, so that'll be another project along with what I want.

so with the story over, the turbo really is the beginning to the build I've been wanting to do to my balt. it is rated for 4-450hp roughly, and needs to be rebuilt (been sitting for a year and has minimal shaft play) but I've been wondering about other parts that I looked into. i want 6-700 for my balt also and was questioning some parts. I know i'd have to upgrade the turbo eventually (looking at a precision 6266), but we'll get to that. this is the parts list that I've looked up
----------------------------------------------------
Cloyes balance shaft chain
Dea Engine Mount
WiseCo K583m865 piston/ring kit
Eagle rods
Supertech 94lb valve springs
Steel head gasket
turbotech t3 exhaust manifold
Pacesetter header
Pacesetter Manza exhaust
Spec stage3 clutch kit
TurboTech Trans mounts
50mm BOV
AMS Boost Controller
46mm External WasteGate
Big Fmic
TurboTech Stage 2 Comp Cams
-----------------------------------------------------
I'd also need a forged crankshaft, and retainers and have to rebuild the trans to withstand that much power.
My questions here are...
1. Would the block, given these parts are installed, be able to withstand that much power?
2. if not, I'd have to look into an LNF block to build?
3. What else am I missing?
4. I know that this Isn't going to be an overnight project
5. would the Fe5 suspension be good enough (adding bc coilovers) to withstand it?
6. What would be a good company to get it tuned? (texas area)

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
....side note- I have people around me that would be able to help, just looking for input from the cobalt community.
tracker38 likes this.

Blurple 2.2ls
K&N intake, pioneer double-din head unit. Ccfl halo projector headlights.
List of to-do's is way too long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Forum Regular

I would look into the cometic head gasket instead.

Look into the zzp solid motor mount, and the ottp roated mounts instead.

Not sure how the sleeves would hold up, but the piston and rod set up looks good.

And the fe5 suspension is amazing. Should hold the power nicely. And look into a progress rear sway bar, lnf front sway bar, moog bushings, moog end links as well.

I haven't done a turbo build, so I cant be 100% on what it can really hold, but from the research ive done in the past, everything looks good.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
04 Ion-2
06 Ion Redline
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I would assume that the fe5 suspension would be able to hold up, but being that thats a crap ton of ponies going to the wheels, I'm not 100% sure.

Blurple 2.2ls
K&N intake, pioneer double-din head unit. Ccfl halo projector headlights.
List of to-do's is way too long

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, FE5 shocks/struts (2008-2010) will be more than sufficient. You can go the Koni Yellow route if you'd like the ability to adjust your dampening rates, but the stock setup is so good that it's not really necessary (FE5s were built and tested on the Nurburing, where the SS/TC held the lap record for a FWD production car for awhile) Pair those shocks up with some good springs and you'll be set. Powell's YYZs are supposed to be the best handling spring out there.

I haven't heard much good about Pacesetter. Look into ZZP for a header/turboback, their stuff is bar none. You'd probably need some ARP headstuds to hold everything together. Balance shafts could be deleted too, it should free up a little power by reducing rotational mass.

As for tuning, you have two choices; HPTuners or Trifecta. If you've got an '05-'06, then Trifecta is your only bet. It's more or less agreed that HPT offers a better product with a higher degree of user customibility.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

Last edited by Plain Jane; 12-13-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:19 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I'd definitely run a ZZP manifold (pacesetter header would not be compatible with a turbo - you need a turbo manifold), as well as a 3" ZZP downpipe and cat-back.

For a rear sway bar: Powell Street/Hardcore should do you good. The XXX is the biggest, but likely a bit much for street driving.

You're probably going to need beefier half-shafts as well.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Expert

Garage
And don't forget to post pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
building turbo cobalt , high hp , modding , tuning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode