Performance and General Improvement Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Performance and General Improvement Question

So, I am not a car guy. I won't pretend to be. I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt LS (I think it's LS anyways). It has no get-up-and-go to it whatsoever. My old Mazda 3 and my roommates Scion XB both run better. I'm sure it has something to do with the EcoTech engine.

Anyways, on to the real topic...what (if anything) can I do to upgrade my cars overall performance without replacing the entire engine? I'm currently debating whether it's worth putting money into this car to make it a decent vehicle, or just paying it off quickly as possible and trading it in. I've seen the body kits you can get for cobalts and quite honestly, if it's possible to make the Cobalt LS speed up, I think I'd love learning about cars and feeling accomplished by making it a side project. Some of the body kits just look so damn sexy, hah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah the 2010 is tuned for maximum fuel efficiency and performance suffers a bit. My 07 is way peppier than my 2010, but if you drive it hard it will learn your driving habits and start to surprise you but don't expect good fuel mileage in return.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Yeah the 2010 is tuned for maximum fuel efficiency and performance suffers a bit. My 07 is way peppier than my 2010, but if you drive it hard it will learn your driving habits and start to surprise you but don't expect good fuel mileage in return.
I honestly am not too worried about gas mileage. When I was stationed in Japan, I drove an Altezza (Which I believe is the same as a Lexus IS200) and it's mileage was crap, but damn I loved that car! Had a 6cyl and whoever owned it before me, fitted it for racing. I freaking loved that car even though I had to fill up every 2 days.

But yeah, I want something that will actually move when I press the pedal. Currently, my cobalt can go 0-60 in like 20 seconds (sadly, thats only a minor exaggeration). As far as aesthetics, I know body and exhaust kits are everywhere.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Does it have traction control?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Does it have traction control?
Nope. Nor does it have cruise control.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My 07LS will burn the front tires while my 2010LT won't even chirp. Yet surprisingly enough the 07 is better on fuel than the 10

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

My 07 didn't have cruise so I installed an aftermarket Rostra.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ele...e-control.html

Last edited by Coby7; 06-28-2016 at 03:38 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
My 07LS will burn the front tires while my 2010LT won't even chirp. Yet surprisingly enough the 07 is better on fuel than the 10
Yeah, I regret not going with the Lexus R350. But since I'm stuck with the Cobalt for 13,000$ remaining, I either need to figure out whether it's worth upgrading and making into a decent car, or whether it's going to be better to just dump as much as I can into paying it off and getting rid of it ASAP.

Yeah, I got ripped off getting this car. But when you have shitty credit from a repo and brief period of unemployment, you kinda take what you can get when the offer arises...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Then I will not tell you how much I paid for my 2010.

But this is what it looked like when I got it. Cosmetic damage.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Expert

Garage
Well, you might want to check out the basic bolt ons for power first. Cold Air Intake, Exhaust Header, Downpipe, and Catback, and if you're planning on getting the computer tuned, maybe an LSJ throttle body (larger one from the supercharged Cobalt SS) as well.

I made a thread about my bolt ons that you might want to check out.

Parthros' Total Noob Questions Thread

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Oh, and if you do want to get a throttle body, I've got all the parts you need for it that I'd be willing to sell you. Thought I was going to stay naturally aspirated (only basic bolt ons), but I ended up buying a supercharger kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthros View Post
Well, you might want to check out the basic bolt ons for power first. Cold Air Intake, Exhaust Header, Downpipe, and Catback, and if you're planning on getting the computer tuned, maybe an LSJ throttle body (larger one from the supercharged Cobalt SS) as well.

I made a thread about my bolt ons that you might want to check out.

Parthros' Total Noob Questions Thread

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Oh, and if you do want to get a throttle body, I've got all the parts you need for it that I'd be willing to sell you. Thought I was going to stay naturally aspirated (only basic bolt ons), but I ended up buying a supercharger kit.
Awesome. I'll take a look at that thread!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

So I read Parthros' post and some of the posts of that followed. Would it be worth getting a supercharger from a Cobalt SS and putting it in mine? I know I'll need the ECM (I think it's ECM, I'm bad at this!) as well. But the question is, is it possible and is it worth it?

Also, I saw someone recommending upgrading to the 2.4L, but I was told that it's pointless replacing a stock 2.2 with a stock 2.4...so is 2.4 worth it? If so, I was told to pretty much rebuild the stock 2.4 and add new pistons, polish, etc etc (I am CLUELESS and just repeating the words spoken to me :D)
Parthros likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
chevy , cobalt 2010 , engine , information

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode