LDK & Manual Trans Swap - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
LDK & Manual Trans Swap

So, this is something I've been considering for if/when my supercharged LAP dies on me. It's getting pretty common for people to swap their LSJ or LNF for a big turbo LDK, and if something does happen to my LAP, that's a route I want to consider. Obviously, there'd be some work to get the chassis to accept a manual transmission since the entire engine is rotated to facilitate the larger auto trans, but in the case that I actually throw an LDK in this thing, what all do you think I'd need to look at for getting it to fit a F35 transmission?

Obviously, I'm not going to do this if the LAP still works, this is like a "worst-case, LAP blew up because I did something stupid" contingency plan, but thought it'd be an interesting idea nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Cobalt Master

Ldk swap is only done in lnf cars, and very few lnf have been swapped into other cars because you have to change over basically everything. You would pretty much have to buy an entire lnf parts car to make it work. Your best bet would probably be dropping in a 2.4 f35 swap is doable but still very uncommon and you would pretty much need a whole parts car to accomplish that as well
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
I've actually seen a ton of LDK swapped LSJs around here. Surprisingly common for how much work it is. Have yet to see an LDK swapped base model though.

Sounds like if I'm gonna do something like that, I'd be better off going back to stock on my current car, and buy an LNF to build instead. At any rate, that's just a contingency plan. Probably won't ever have to worry about it :P

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

And actually, thinking a bit more about it, it'd be way better to have an SS to work with so I don't have to do major brake swaps since this thing only has single pistons up front and drums on the rear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode