Custom Exhaust system - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to TechOne
Custom Exhaust system

i've been modding the balt for awhile now and i think its time for a exhaust. first i want to get something hardly anyone has thats where i need help. i am currently ordering the hks carbon ti-exaust tip. but i dont want to just weld it to the cheap stock exhaust. i want to with at least a 2.25 piping. i've read that the ss/sc exhaust would mount right up to the base models. i also heard that they come with a 2.25 piping. would it be best to just buy a ss/sc exhaust and weld the hks to the 2.25 piping. or would be best to have it done by a shop. im not looking towards the shop cuz i know they'll charge up the wha-zoo to get it done. im looking to gain some hp and torque out if it as well something better then stock. your input would help out alot thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Newcomer

I'd say if you can get an SS/SC exhaust, just go with that. The muffler won't help out that much. But if you have a welder, it's not rocket science...

2005 Black Cobalt Coupe 5 Speed

Mods: 15" Eagle Alloy Wheels wrapped in Kumho Ecsta ASX's, TWM Short Shifter, Prothane Transmission Mounts, Progress rear sway bar, sidestrips removed, debadged,Silverstar headlights and turn signals, Injen Intake, painted headlights, Pioneer Headunit, and that's it... for now.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i was thinkin about that .but i would also need i pipe bender unless you know how bend pipes for cheap. wat would be the best piping to use?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Veteran

when I got my custom exhaust system done on my car it cost me only 90 dollars for the shop to do

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
Custom 2.5" dynomax exhaust system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
stainless steel pacesetter header
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

really dang thats cheap does it look nice? you sure that they just didn't use the same exhaust? i asked and there wanting to charge me like 400 for a custom exhaust to do the bends and everything. thats just to do a cat-back system to.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Veteran

no its 2.5 exhaust they litterely took off the old one I saw them replace it completely.I just had to grab the muffler which is from dynomax which looks like a stock muffler.you're just getting riped off,don't go to meineke at all they wanted to charge me 400 dollars for a custom downpipe which only cost a 100 dollars to do.You have to find a shop that doesn't charge labor at all

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yeah see it was a muffler shop trying to charge that much. did you get yours done from the headers on back? or a cat back system? i want to add a high flow cat.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Veteran

well the shop I went to couldn't make a downpipe which is kind of funny,so I have to go and buy a downpipe that will fit the pacesetter header I have(not the cheap pacesetter header either).What they did was make the 2.5 exhaust system and stop where the downpipe is at until I get that replace.the place I went to is a actual muffler shop to but run by mexicans.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

oic where are you located at? did you feel any hp gains or anything? was the bending done nice? was there any ripples in the bends?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Veteran

I am located in Illinois actually,I forgot my camera in my friends car which I wont see until Friday to show you a picture of it,I have no resanator on it,but I don't care since its a little raspy nothing major.The piping was put on perfectly actually, its not hanging low or anything.I don't feel any restrictions though which I am fine with.I probably gained some horsepower,but the only way you will notice a difference is when you put on a stainless steel performance header,new downpipe high flow cat or catless, new exhaust system,and a sri/cai

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT
Synthetic oil
K&N air intake system
B&M shiftplus
B&M tranny cooler
Catless Downpipe
5900k light bulbs
2.4 intake manifold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement