2007 l61 turbo build. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2007 l61 turbo build.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm wanting to install a turbo on my 2007 2.2 auto trans. I'm not looking for high boost right away. My main problem is finding a way to tune the car after installing the turbo kit. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Expert

Garage
Looks like you're new to the forums, so welcome!

As far as your turbo build goes; first, make sure you read through and understand the Parts to Turbo YOUR Car thread. It should get you off the ground.

For tuning options, you've really only got 2 choices:
  1. ZZP Email Tune (Requires access to HPTuners)
  2. Local dyno tune

If you've got a copy of HPTuners, or know someone who has one, option 1 isn't bad. @rrob5382 used their email tune for his supercharged build, so he may have valuable thoughts on it.

The local dyno tune will really vary based on where you are, but it's also a pretty good option.

Finally, if you can beg Trifecta to send you an email tune, they're generally well regarded, but they stopped offering tunes for boosted base models sometime last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yes I am new to the forum. This is my second cobalt. I used to have a 2005 sedan and I loved it but it rotted out. Now I have my 2007 coupe and I'm looking into the zzp stage one turbo kit. I know I'll only be able to boost it to 4-5 psi for now. I'm thinking about buying the HPtuners software I just don't know if it's worth it. I've never tuned a computer before. I've built old carbed small block chevys before so I'm new to the tuning scene.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Expert

Garage
ECU tuning is pretty tricky from what I understand. Unless you're ready & willing to spend lots of time figuring it out, buying HPTuners probably isn't worth it.

Also, just so you know, I went with ZZP's supercharger kit, and encountered lots of issues with it, so I'd highly suggest piecing together a kit instead.

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Alright thank you. I'll start looking around and piece one together. I wouldn't mind learning how to tune because I plan on keeping this car a long time. I bought it from my father in law a month ago and it had a brand new timing chain and tensioners and head gasket up. It has roughly 109,000 miles. For some reason it won't let me upload a picture of it.
Parthros likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Expert

Garage
Yeah, I've never been able to upload directly to YourCobalt. I usually just upload to imgur, then use the image's url in the img tag.

Quote:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Cobalt Master

For what it's worth, zzp won't be doing my tuning this time around. While I don't blame the tune for the failure, I wasn't too thrilled with the experience. Where are you located? Plenty of good tuners for these cars
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I live in ohio. Wintersville ohio. About a 40 minute drive from Pittsburgh. I don't know of any tuners or dynos in my area.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
It's a shame Vince (Trifecta) doesn't seem to do the non-LNF tunes anymore, other than legacy-updates for those he did in the past.

@Parthros , didn't ZZP do your initial tune and botch the shit out of it?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:47 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
@Parthros , didn't ZZP do your initial tune and botch the shit out of it?
No, they actually never got around to doing the tune. The shop that did the install reached out to ZZP the day I dropped off my car. I think ZZP finally got back to them like 7 days later, and they were asking for like 4x the price that the install shop was expecting. At that point, we decided to go with a local dyno tune, which the first version of that wasn't great. It ran, but had some weird issues. Luckily, that shop's super reasonable, and willing to do drivability updates until you're satisfied.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode