2.2 to 2.4 Manifold Swap - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

2.2 to 2.4 Manifold Swap

I see that CrateEngine has this conversion kit. With cold air intake and exhaust mods, I am wondering if this would be a good swap? Will the performance be worth the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Newcomer

about 15whp with a tune, this hasnt been tested on 08s or 09 yet so becareful

2008 Cobalt 1LT Victory Red
MODS: B&M Shift+ Stage 2, "JDM" Cold Air Intake, Zenn Springs, and FE5 struts, Polished Valve Cover (By me), Resonator Removed. 5% Back 25% Front Tint, Painted dash trim, 4300 Silverstars, some weight loss
COMING SOON:17x7 Black new rims wrapped in Kumos
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

I have a 2007 LT. Mods to my car are GMPP Air Intake, Extrude Honed maifold, Performance CatBack Exhaust. I was looking to at the Jet Chip Stage 2 and this intake manifold. Maybe the Jet Chip first??

Also, where do I add my "MODS:" for the postings? Is it in my profile?? Yes, I am a newbie to this forum...
-----Added 6 Oct 2008 at 02:35:55-----
My apologies to 'gibsonj4'. I just read the very informative posts you have written. They are/will be very helpful. I should have read all the post before I asked my questions. I may be after the first of the year before I can get the 2.4 manifold. I want to get the Jet chip at the same time.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

My apologies to 'gibsonj4'. I just read the very informative posts you have written. They are/will be very helpful. I should have read all the post before I asked my questions. I may be after the first of the year before I can get the 2.4 manifold. I want to get the Jet chip at the same time.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to blkbalt06
conwaycobalt, with the mods you currently have you'd benefit from a 2.4 manifold. dont be surprised if you lose a tiny bit of torque in the low end. this will be because the 2.4 plenum is larger than the 2.2 so a minor loss of air velocity could occur. but with your mods, i wouldnt worry. you'd greatly benefit from a new downpipe with a high flow cat. you could go catless, but some dont like the sound. right now thats going to be your bottle neck. the stock cat is highly restrictive.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Is there a downpipe that would bolt between the GMPP manifold and the Catback that would fit properly with the GMPP parts?

2007 LT 2.2
MODS:
GMPP Air Intake * GMPP Extrude Honed Manifold * GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust * Vibrant D/P * Jet Stage 2 Module
MOBIL 1 Synthetic Oil * DC Sport Strut Tower Brace * Color Matched Mirror Covers * EuroAntenna * 30-15 3M FX Tinting
Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS on Premium Wheels

Future MODS:
2.4 Intake Manifold Conversion * 2.4 TB * TUNE
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Forum Regular

yeah, the gm parts are designed to fit like stock, and most of the downpipes for sale are designed to bolt stock. so basically any downpipe available for the 2.2, unless stated otherwise with the product.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Thank you for the info. I am going to check it out tomorrow. My future mods list is growing!

2007 LT 2.2
MODS:
GMPP Air Intake * GMPP Extrude Honed Manifold * GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust * Vibrant D/P * Jet Stage 2 Module
MOBIL 1 Synthetic Oil * DC Sport Strut Tower Brace * Color Matched Mirror Covers * EuroAntenna * 30-15 3M FX Tinting

Future MODS:
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular

yours and mine both. i have a HUGE list of all the work i want done. but im building mine to road race next season. so im doing every free mod possible, engine work, suspension, braking, oil cooling, overall cooling, blah blah blah. goal as of right now, 300 whp with enough traction to make it worthwhile while still on 12lbs of boost.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I am not going to do any "official" racing.
However, I do like to pass a few people on my way to and from work.

2007 LT 2.2
MODS:

Future MODS:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode