Using Junkyard Coupe Supercharger on 2.2L Sedan - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Engine Mods Talk about Chevy Cobalt Engine Modifications here.

7Likes
  • 2 Post By rrob5382
  • 2 Post By MP81
  • 1 Post By MP81
  • 1 Post By rrob5382
  • 1 Post By MP81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Using Junkyard Coupe Supercharger on 2.2L Sedan

I've found several posts here about people adding superchargers or turbochargers to their 2.2L Cobalt. I want to add a little extra hp (about 50 hp, or a 30% increase), but as a college student funds are limited.
If I found a supercharger from the supercharged coupe SS Cobalt at a junkyard, could I Jerry-rig it onto my 2005 2.2L? (provided I purchase any necessary gaskets, tubing, etc) Or are there complications which make this ridiculously impractical?

I'm an engineering student so if I need to run calculations concerning airflow, energy, heat, etc that's fine by me. I also have access to a machine shop if I need to modify parts to make this work. Just trying to get my 145hp engine to about 200.

P.S. If there's already a thread on this that I missed lmk so I can delete this one and not clutter the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Cobalt Master

It all bolts right on, only thing is there's no tuning support for the 05 so you would need a standalone system
Parthros and William MCD like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:09 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, the supercharger swap is definitely easy to do, and relatively affordable. There is a list of parts you'll need that I've pasted below. However, as Ryan has said, '05 will require special tuning, as nobody tunes these.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/eng...2-2-2-4-a.html
Parthros and William MCD like this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Yeah, the supercharger swap is definitely easy to do, and relatively affordable. There is a list of parts you'll need that I've pasted below. However, as Ryan has said, '05 will require special tuning, as nobody tunes these.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/eng...2-2-2-4-a.html
Cool I had seen that list earlier but didn't realize those parts were swapped out of the 2.0 cobalt. It's a pretty great list, so props to you. I noticed you listed exhaust parts as "optional," but a friend said that if I didn't upgrade my exhaust 1st I would destroy my engine because the additional boost pressure would not be able to exit the pistons easily enough. Is there any truth to this, or could I wait on the exhaust upgrades until after I saved a bit more cash?

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
It all bolts right on, only thing is there's no tuning support for the 05 so you would need a standalone system
If I mounted the MAF sensor at a location where the pipe diameter matched the OEM diameter so it can get an accurate mass-flow calculation, and if I located it at such a place that about the same amount of head-loss occurred between the sensor and throttle body in the new setup as the old, would the readings be accurate enough that I could get by without a tune? Or am I just asking for my cylinders to be shred to pieces?

2005 Chevy Cobalt sedan 2.2L
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by William MCD View Post
I noticed you listed exhaust parts as "optional," but a friend said that if I didn't upgrade my exhaust 1st I would destroy my engine because the additional boost pressure would not be able to exit the pistons easily enough. Is there any truth to this, or could I wait on the exhaust upgrades until after I saved a bit more cash?
Any truth? Not even remotely.

I ran an entire stock exhaust - manifold, downpipe and exhaust system for probably a year or so before I upgraded to an SS/TC exhaust. Then about another year later I added the header and downpipe to complete the system.

So you absolutely can wait on that if you'd like.
William MCD likes this.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by William MCD View Post
Cool I had seen that list earlier but didn't realize those parts were swapped out of the 2.0 cobalt. It's a pretty great list, so props to you. I noticed you listed exhaust parts as "optional," but a friend said that if I didn't upgrade my exhaust 1st I would destroy my engine because the additional boost pressure would not be able to exit the pistons easily enough. Is there any truth to this, or could I wait on the exhaust upgrades until after I saved a bit more cash?

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

If I mounted the MAF sensor at a location where the pipe diameter matched the OEM diameter so it can get an accurate mass-flow calculation, and if I located it at such a place that about the same amount of head-loss occurred between the sensor and throttle body in the new setup as the old, would the readings be accurate enough that I could get by without a tune? Or am I just asking for my cylinders to be shred to pieces?
If it would even run, it wouldn't hold up very long if you supercharge it without a tune
William MCD likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Yeah - it would dump so much extra fuel into the cylinders, you'd wash the bore walls down and dilute the oil - which leads to boom.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Yeah - it would dump so much extra fuel into the cylinders, you'd wash the bore walls down and dilute the oil - which leads to boom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
If it would even run, it wouldn't hold up very long if you supercharge it without a tune
What if I installed a variable fuel pressure regulator to mechanically restrict the fuel to the proper amount? Between that and strategically manipulating placement of the MAF sensor, it seems like you could find a balance but I've never had the privilege of viewing the ECU's code to know for sure how the calculations work.

2005 Chevy Cobalt sedan 2.2L
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Say What again!

Garage
If you restricted flow, then you wouldn't have sufficient fuel flow for when you ran into boost.
Parthros likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode