Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine rebuild

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Evilpanda77 
#1 ·
I think I'm in the right place. As far as I know there's no damage to my engine, but would an engine rebuild yield better performance when adding mods (super charger cai exhaust etc) or is there no real big use for it.

It has 136k miles on it the only thing wrong that I've seen is the radiator is bent but it works properly and leaks only a little. Should I even think about that or go straight for modding. I don't wanna be at 150k with 1500$ in the car and it go bad. Thanks for any advice or tips/suggestions.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rebuilding the internals won't do anything by themselves, but if you are planning on running boost, forged rods and pistons drastically increases your power handling capability. The 2.2L L61s rods are rated to about 250 HP, and that was tested on a nitrous hit. Forged rods and pistons basically put you at the mercy of the crank - which in its stock form is good to about 600HP due to the massive bedplate on the bottom of the engine, and the block, which varies depending on the year ('07 is the strongest, mine has held up to over 250HP for almost 10 years now and 85,000 miles - but ask @rrob5382 about his '08 ).

If you want to run a supercharger, the CAI will be different compared to your current setup (N/A cars draw air from the passenger side, the S/C cars draw from the driver side), so unless you don't mind dealing with selling it, you could probably wait on that until the supercharger is on. Exhaust will be no different before or after the supercharger - but with the power you are able to produce with forged internals, the size you'd want on the car as it sits now will not be big enough to handle it.

So I guess what I'd do is: figure out your game plan. If you want to supercharge the car, and are willing to pull and rebuild the engine, get forged rods and pistons. You can also upgrade some of the valvetrain, as well, if you like. Then you can determine the air intake and exhaust setup (header/downpipe/catback).

Currently there are three of us who are running supercharged setups on base-model cars, so if you have any questions at all (which I'd imagine you do), feel free to ask!

#3 ·
I have an 08 would it be better to start piecing together a supercharger kit first or get forged internals first. Right now I'm saving the money so it probably won't happen till June. I'm just trying to figure out if I should do bolt ons first(I'm a bit speed hungry) or supercharger. I know you cant get higher then roughly 200hp with bolt ons.

#5 ·
Nice! I'm glad that one fits - I heard about someone getting that product, but it didn't even remotely fit, and there was a big ol' mess that ZZP wouldn't take blame, this and that, etc.

And regarding your question before, you can probably do some bolt ons here and there - just be aware some won't fit with the SC system - but I wouldn't say that is a huge deal, selling Cobalt parts usually isn't too difficult.

#6 · (Edited)
Honestly it didn't fit great but with some elbow grease and some motivation I got it on. Connected tightened and everything. Honestly car feels like a brand new car. Next shall be suspension then brakes.

Oh and the part sticks higher up then the stock one, so you might have trouble shutting the hood, but give it a good push and it will lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.