DIY: touching up scratches - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Exterior Exterior DIY/How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

DIY: touching up scratches

[IMG][/IMG]

First youll need the correct color paint. I used a duplicolor touch up paint. I bought it at auto zone.

[IMG][/IMG]

You'll also need a microfiber cloth, sand paper(2500 grit), polish, and I also used scratch doctor.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the scratch I touched up, along with others. The pictures may not be of the same scratch every time, but I did the process exactly as I do here.

Step 1: if the existing paint is uneven with the rest of the surface, sand it down until it is all smooth. (Mine was even)

Step 2: clean then surface with soap and water. Dry with the cloth.

Step 3: apply the touch up paint to the scratch. I do not have a picture. I forgot to snap one here. Just apply it evenly until the scratch is not visible. More than one coat may be needed. The new paint may look slightly different, it's OK.

[IMG][/IMG]

Step 4: after the paint dries apply the clear coat. I waited about 30 minutes to allow the paint to dry. Check the directions on the back of the paint, it will specify.

[IMG][/IMG]

Step 5: After the clear coat dries you will sand it until it is smooth with the rest of the surface. IMPORTANT: make sure you allow it to fully dry or it will all just rub off leaving the paint unprotected. You dont need to push hard.

[IMG][/IMG]

Step 6: after sanding ut will look rough and you may think"oh no, i ruined my car". If you used the proper grit that is fine enough(2500) you didnt ruin anything. after you smooth out the paint you will apply the polish.

[IMG][/IMG]

Step 7: after wiping off the polish, Youre left with a beautiful unscratched hood! Or whatever else you decided to touch up.

Congrats!!

2005 cobalt base model coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Gawd of Thunda!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
I have to do this... after removing my seats and the bracket scratched the side of my car.. :.(

Nice write up!

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It's really easy. Over all it took about 10 minutes of work. Just have to wait foe the paint to dry. It was my first how to so thanks! :D

2005 cobalt base model coupe

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Forum Regular

great how to

2009 cobalt ss,k&N typhoon intake, short shifter,tuned cat-back exhaust, jet black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread