Installing Fog Lights - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Exterior Exterior DIY/How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Installing Fog Lights

hi, i am planning on putting fog lights on my 2007 cobalt lt. the car does not currently have fog lights, and i have no idea if it ever did, however there is still the button on the dash for the fog lights, i am wondering that if i buy a pair of stock cobalt fog lights is there just a plug somewhere on a harness where they can be installed or am i going to have to figure out a way to wire them into the switch on the dash itself.

2007 Cobalt LT, BLACK on BLACK, Airbox mod, Muffler delete[SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Was you front bumper cover changed at one point? Rebuilders will always go cheap and install the $100 cover instead of the sport one of $320 plus they don't have to worry about fog lights. If the switch is there everything should be there for you. All you will need is a couple of OEM fog lights, a new bumper cover SS or sport. If you buy the SS you will need to buy the lip seperately and 2 new inner fenders. If you buy the Sport you will need to buy left and right fender well extention brackets.

Just check at the headlight if you have an extra piece of harness that is taped up if they didn't cut them out. Circled in red is the headlight connector and circled in blue is the fog lamp connector.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran

Garage
Installing Fog Lights

Look for option code TY8 on your RPO tag in your trunk(under the floor mat). If it's there, your car was produced with the option. If you don't have that code, the option can be added. If you have the dash switch, you have at least half the wiring in place. You'll need the underhood harness and a dealer (or someone with a tech 2) to enable the fog lights in your BCM.

Does your fog light switch light up at night?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by rains_crusader; 04-18-2014 at 08:20 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Was you front bumper cover changed at one point? Rebuilders will always go cheap and install the $100 cover instead of the sport one of $320 plus they don't have to worry about fog lights. If the switch is there everything should be there for you. All you will need is a couple of OEM fog lights, a new bumper cover SS or sport. If you buy the SS you will need to buy the lip seperately and 2 new inner fenders. If you buy the Sport you will need to buy left and right fender well extention brackets.

Just check at the headlight if you have an extra piece of harness that is taped up if they didn't cut them out. Circled in red is the headlight connector and circled in blue is the fog lamp connector.

Thanks this was a big help! that car is a rebuild but it was hit from behind so i have no idea about anything before that, and the guy i bought it from got it at an auction an he says all he did was fix the rear end and put a bumper cover on it, i will look at the harness tomorrow

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rains_crusader View Post
Look for option code TY8 on your RPO tag in your trunk(under the floor mat). If it's there, your car was produced with the option. If you don't have that code, the option can be added. If you have the dash switch, you have at least half the wiring in place. You'll need the underhood harness and a dealer (or someone with a tech 2) to enable the fog lights in your BCM.

Does your fog light switch light up at night?

no my fog light button doesnt turn the dash light to indicate the fog lights in the cluster, i will check the trunk for the codes tomorrow when its sunny (and warm!) im going to try and find a mechanic shop with a tech 2 if i do this

2007 Cobalt LT, BLACK on BLACK, Airbox mod, Muffler delete[SIGPIC]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Veteran

Garage
Does your fog light button illuminate at night when your dash lights are on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode