Permatex RTV - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Exterior Exterior DIY/How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Permatex RTV

Is there a difference between Permatex RTV high temp adhesive and Permatex RTV high temp gasket maker?

I'm trying to install a Kat's 50 watt universal hot pad on the bottom of my Cobalt's oil pan.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I asked Permatex for advice and suggestions on using their product, as outlined here under "winterizing a Cobalt" using the Kat's Hot Pad on the oil pan and trans pan. Their response was as follows:
"Permatex gasket makers and silicone adhesive sealants are all insulators. They will block the heat you intend to transfer. Permatex does not recommend the use of its products for this application."

Now I want to attached this Kat's Hot Pad, like in the posting here, but the manufacturer advises not to. (?)

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Thanks to a long haul driver that I use to inter-line with, he gave me a solution.

"QuikSteel" steel-reinforced epoxy putty does the job. He had a older model Pete that he applied this product to, similar to the one I'm trying to install.

He said his application of this QuickSteel stuff did the trick, and did so for eight years over the road, coast to coast in the lower 48 and through Montreal.

So, if the Permatex gives a problem (not that I think it would) try this stuff, QuickSteel. I'm going to give it a try the first chance I get with some decent weather here in Western Massachusetts.

Just one precaution - don't let this stuff dry on any part of your skin. It doesn't come off, period. There is no peeling this stuff back without taking skin with it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

The "QuikSteel" worked great. I applied the Kat's Hot Pad by first cleaning off the area very good, then peeled back the covering of the sticky surface, applied the Kat's Hot Pad, then applied the "QuikSteel" around the outer edges of the Kats Hat Pad overlapping those edges with the "QuikSteel" to the oil pan.

I plug the Hot Pad in when it's gets really cold here in Western Massachusetts and it really works. Now this Hot Pad won't heat the entire oil pan's contents, nor will it heat the tranny's oil or the water jackets in the block. It's not designed for that. But for just enough heat to make the starting process just a little bit easier, it does it's job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode