LTG 2.0 Chevy Turbocharged FWD Crate Engine and Tranny - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Install Guides/DIY Post any Chevy Cobalt Install Guides/DIY's here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

LTG 2.0 Chevy Turbocharged FWD Crate Engine and Tranny

Hi everyone, My name is Eric, I live in Kansas. I've had my '08 Cobalt coupe LS 2.2L for a little over a year now, it has about 180,000 miles on it. I've already made a few upgrades, such as brakes, shocks and I've installed a really nice audio system recently. I was just thinking how I'd like to be able to hold on to it as long as possible and continue to upgrade, and with the miles on it I'm not sure how much longer the engine/tranny will last. I've been doing some looking around online, and I'd really like to be able to install this crate engine and tranny at some point, most likely by a professional:

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...nt-wheel-drive

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ssions/ltg-fwd

the only problem is I don't know how feasible it is. If anyone has any knowledge on what it would take to do this, please help me out.

Last edited by EricjamesD; 09-16-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Contributor

Try project is quite feasible.......
Expensive
The tranny looks like a bolt in swap with little problem. It may be just a bit of a chore That identify the correct shafts but that’s a minor problem.
Just checked and you would need replacement axel shafts (1/2-shafts). The right hand is the 2piece design with a carrier. your 08 has a single long shaft on the right side.

The engine will drop right in. The excitement will be in connecting the air in and exhaust out. These are available and can be had for a nominal price. Don’t forger the intercooler and it’s plumbing and possibly an extra fan.

Now the emissions might pose a bit of a problem.
After all that’s done you will have a unique $2500-$3500 car in need of a nice paint job.
A real nice grocery getter.
Did you get a price quote for the engine? How about the tranny? My guess is $1500 for the tranny and $7500 for the engine. Now with this setup you will need to reprogram the ECU. I am sure GM has all of,the files you should need for a base line. FOR OFF ROAD USE.

There are other parts you would need too such as the completion kit and accessory drive kit. YMWV
Check the GM parts for details

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 09-17-2018 at 01:03 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Contributor

You might want to look at a 2016 Caddy ATS complete engine. It should be the 2.0 LTG. Just saw on on eBay for $1300 with 17k miles.
That might be a nice swap for the BC @Coby7
Do you think the axel shafts from the F35 / Cobalt SS would work on that GM F40-6 six-speed manual?

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 09-17-2018 at 03:40 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks guy. I haven't actually asked for a quote, but I did find these for sale on some websites, such as PacePerformance and those are the approximate prices. I get decent pay as a CAD drafter but I would still have to save up for maybe 10-12 months before I'd have the funds to do this. Can you clarify on what you mean by "emissions" being a problem and "FOR OFF ROAD USE". Are you suggesting it wouldn't be street legal?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricjamesD View Post
......Can you clarify on what you mean by "emissions" being a problem and "FOR OFF ROAD USE". Are you suggesting it wouldn't be street legal?
Read your state and federal law pertaining to modifying the emissions equipment of a 2008 Cobalt.

Some states, cities, countries, are more difficult to get mods passed than others. Read the parts description from Chevy....For OFF ROAD USE.... it means you may not be able to get itís emmissions approved all across the US.

BC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Contributor

I have thought about a possible LTG transplant into a cobalt. Since a low mileage complete engine setup could be obtained for $1000-$1500, this seemed like a possible option.
Upon further looks, it seems GM swapped the intake and exhaust sides on the head. This would put the intake manafold on the rear side in a Cobalt and the exhaust ports toward the front of the engine bay. Not an ideal simple swap .
I wonder how it was installed in the Malibu

2.0L Turbo LTG ECOTEC Engine

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
engine swap , ltg engine , ltg transmission , transmission swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode