Any Dangers in Disabling on Star? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Install Guides/DIY Post any Chevy Cobalt Install Guides/DIY's here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Any Dangers in Disabling on Star?

09 5Spd ls xfe. just curious if disconnecting the on star box located in rear shelf area was going to cause cel to come on. at chevy forum a few newer silverado guys had mil goin crazy. but they got auto,4wd,abs. My Balt is a STRIPPER! Manual tranny,windows,locks. On star doesn't help my car any. except in accident. but as the intro says Non active subscribers get No help by Onstar. I don't care for it just don't wantn to mess car up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Contributor

Garage
Where exactly is it? Curious about this.

2010 Cobalt LT K&N TYPHOON INTAKE
2004 Cavalier LS clone
2003 Saturn L200 Fully loaded-Sold
1987 Toyota Celica
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Why? I have the same car (well started the same anyways) and I don't see the point of taking it out. I believe the box with OnStar also controls a few other things so you can't actually remove it anyways.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Contributor

I found this on another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone on another forum
Disconnect the larger 16 hole white connector from the module. That will disable all of its functions. DO NOT disconnect all of the connectors, the car wont run.
I simply pulled the fuse myself at the time, but that also kills XM in case you care about that.
The reason I disabled mine was that at the time Onstar changed their privacy policy enabling them to sell information collected from the vehicle (such as location, speed) without your consent. They could even do this after you discontinued your Onstar subscription. There was a riot among Onstar customers and they reversed the decision but that is when they lost my trust forever.

The module in the middle on this picture is the one:

Close-up:

Black 2010 SS/TC G85 | ZFR6758 | Term2 tuned | 479whp, 470wtq | Built internals | Cryo'd 4.45 | CM S4 clutch | Hahn CP | ZZP IC | Forge BPV | Hahn 3 DP and Catback | Hahn CAI | Ported head & intake | LE5 TB | Opel injectors + custom 5th injector | ZZP S3 cams | 82# valve springs | 420lph E85 LPFP | Custom FM oil cooler | PRS YYZ v3 & Koni yellows | PRS XXX bar | PRS rotated mounts, rear bushings & TCABS | PRS PCV | PRS Racing oil pan | PRS brake ducts

Last edited by colodude18; 04-17-2014 at 08:36 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to Gimpster Send a message via Yahoo to Gimpster
I know I'll come off as paranoid, but I TOTALLY removed the VCIM on both of my new Cobalts, and will remove it from this 2008 I bought too. I don't think the gobment is out to get me or anything, but ... whatever.

You can totally remove the VCIM, it just requires that you loop the GMLAN (CAN BUS) ... otherwise as stated the car won't start. I think that if you can't read the wiring diagrams on the car to get that working a spoon fed HOW-TO is not a good idea for anyone to make. I wouldn't want any potentially liability.

2008 Black Cobalt SS Coupe
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Do all Cobalts have that box? I don't have On Star, but sometimes manufacturers throw in the hardware even if the option box was not checked.

I have a 2006 base model G5.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 PM

Yes but it's different, it also controls other things. For example I've replaced mine to add factory Bluetooth.

YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to Gimpster Send a message via Yahoo to Gimpster
Did you swap your OnStar VCIM to one of the bluetooth ones, or use a box like the CoStar Bluestar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
Yes but it's different, it also controls other things. For example I've replaced mine to add factory Bluetooth.

2008 Black Cobalt SS Coupe
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Found a factory Bluetooth box listed on eBay, knew it was right by the part number on it although it was listed weird. I swapped an OnStar and XM radio with one that had Bluetooth, OnStar and XM radio.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Do all Cobalts have that box? I don't have On Star, but sometimes manufacturers throw in the hardware even if the option box was not checked.

I have a 2006 base model G5.
If you don't have the option code you don't have this module.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode