Shifter Bushings? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Install Guides/DIY Post any Chevy Cobalt Install Guides/DIY's here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Shifter Bushings?

Ok guys after frustratingly trying to figure out why my cobalt's shifter is moving hard, I think I may have found out why but just wanted to clarify a few things.

My car's shifter moves very hard and everyone I know keeps telling me that my bushings are extremely dirty and need to be cleaned. I have heard a lot about these TWM short shifter kits ( I already have a short shifter in mine =)) but just out of curiosity what exactly and where exactly are these bushings located?

1: What/Where Are My Shifter Bushings In My 2007 Cobalt LS 5 SPD Manual?

2: What Should I Use To Clean Them?

3: If problem persists, what could be causing my shifter not to "glide" and be "stiff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Take the cupholder off and you'll see the shifter cables they may need an adjustment

I followed this when I had my stock shifter, I couldn't get into 5th very well before, after I could
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6nLrLzloK4

These transmissions aren't known to be very smooth by nature anyways so dont expect much :P

Last edited by StevoElsupremo; 08-06-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

It's not the fact that I can't get into gear, the shifter just feels tight as hell compared to all other cobalts. Moving the shifter is just hard like it's "stiff" then I get in my buddies and drive and his shifter glides from gear to gear like butter. How can I get the same results?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
well if it feels like theirs a wall between gears your synchros could be going... try double clutching a few shifts, if it glides in perfectly smooth than its probably the synchros

Old 08-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I remember changing the bushings (feet) of the shifter box when I swapped in my TWM. Don't know if they really made a difference though.

Try draining the ATF and fill it up with Dexron VI or MT-90. That should help and it's pretty inexpensive to do. Check for any particles in the old fluid. Brass is your synchros, dull grey are your gears and a black material is your clutch.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Checked everything over, and we have come to a possible conclusion, the shifter actually resists within the linkage, popped the hood and look and it looks like where the linkage is hooked in is extremely dirty. how to unhook and clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement