Radar detector install - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Radar detector install

I just got a Cobra radar detector off one of the people at work and was wondering if there's a way to hook it into my rear view mirror because that's got power running into it so I dont have to have the cord running around in my car and so the detector will go on and off with my car?

THis is where I want to plug it

And this is where I think i'll be able to plug it

My 'Balt, Camryn, is my baby. She's a black '09 LT 2.2L with the performance appearance package. I believe that if you take care of your car your car will take care of you.
Currently: Predator Pedals, GM logos gone, blacked out bowties, green interior neons, green LEDGlow, 2x 12" Kicker L7's subwoofer, kicker speakers, Pioneer avic f700bt, Konig Unkown's (17's), Tints

Last edited by djp55; 08-05-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributor

If I understand u right, u want to hard wire ur radar to ur rear view.

I know a few people that hardwired there radar via the auxillary outlet, but they did not recommend it after they were pulled over lol. Cops dont like when u speed with a radar detector, also, u dont want to just leave it up all the time becuz someone will break in and steal it. Just use it when ur driving and put it away when ur not.

But if u really wanna hardwire, ur gonna have to splice the cord and hook it up to a +, -, and ignition wire. Pretty simple.
post #3 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Edited with pics of where I think it may work, this may help anyone trying to help

My 'Balt, Camryn, is my baby. She's a black '09 LT 2.2L with the performance appearance package. I believe that if you take care of your car your car will take care of you.
Currently: Predator Pedals, GM logos gone, blacked out bowties, green interior neons, green LEDGlow, 2x 12" Kicker L7's subwoofer, kicker speakers, Pioneer avic f700bt, Konig Unkown's (17's), Tints

post #4 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributor

Do u have a wiring diagram of the wires running from the rear view? I think ur best bet would be to run wires thru the roof and down the a pillar and underneath the dash honestly.
post #5 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
No, I dont see a diagram around but there are a few open spots in there

post #6 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributor

GM keeps the wiring scamatics on the DL for some reason but its very irritating.

BUMP 4 someone who knows.
post #7 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunts n 40oz View Post

BUMP 4 someone who knows.
Meaning what??

post #8 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Contributor

just bringin this thread to the top lol

sry man, I cant help u out with this one.
post #9 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
That's alright thanks 4 tryin, you still helped in my other thread. lol. Just wondering how to work this cuz i've been wrestling the cover for the fuse box and it wont come off so i figure first this is less wires second less room for error third i wont have to keep wrestling my fuse box

post #10 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributor

u dont need to tap into ur fuse box. The white wire with a red stripe down the side is ur auxillary wire. Just splice into that and ull be good.

I have a question tho, why dont u jus plug it into the cig lighter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cobra , radar , wiring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode