Interior Painting and Lighting Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Interior Painting and Lighting Questions

1. I'm looking for nice interior lighting, i found a place on ebay that sells lights in assorted colors (Item #17032527206 but not sure how good they are, so im asking where is a good palce to find some.

2. I have been looking into getting the Halo LED Projector Headlights because i like the look and wondering if there any good or should look into something else like HID's, but i can't seem to find housing of anything for the HID's

3. I noticed people painting the trim work and i really like it. I have a white car so matching it will be easy. Im just curious on how to do it, just spray paint and done, or is it more complicated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Forum God

I actually just got done my trim today. prep, prime, paint(I did 4 coats), clear coat(I did 3 coats)

As far as the lighting, Im not a ton of help to you but theres HID kits everywhere
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutter View Post
1. I'm looking for nice interior lighting, i found a place on ebay that sells lights in assorted colors (Item #17032527206 but not sure how good they are, so im asking where is a good palce to find some.

2. I have been looking into getting the Halo LED Projector Headlights because i like the look and wondering if there any good or should look into something else like HID's, but i can't seem to find housing of anything for the HID's

3. I noticed people painting the trim work and i really like it. I have a white car so matching it will be easy. Im just curious on how to do it, just spray paint and done, or is it more complicated?

1. those would work. i got mine from led glow. i had a 4 pc 7 color. i dont use it anymore

2 projector lights are good. some are cheap but others arent. if you get them id put hid's in them.
www.TurboTechRacing.com
modernperformance.com
CARiD.com - Car Accessories, Truck Accessories (search cobalt)

those are some sites where you can get halo projectors.
you can also get them from ebay

3. i painted my interior trim i used krylon fusion for plastics. just made sure everything was clean and i just sprayed it. didn't sand prime or anything. looks great

hope this helps

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
1. So is interior lighting kid of useless unless you got nothing else to do?

2. Can you put in an Hid kit in later pretty easy if i dont have the cash for it right away?

3. Is Krylon any good or would you recommend doing it another way? Like is it sticky or grimy or anything like that or does it just feel like normal plastic smooth coat? also is the plasicc trim hard to take of and put on?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Forum God

1. it looks good imo if theres just a couple, not really a point to most mods other than looks

2. why not save up and buy it at once. its usually cheaper to buy together

3. its what some people use. personally I just used regualar old auto paint with clear on top
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Contributor

Garage
check my how to in the how to section....

and for the record... white is not "easy" to match as people may think its actually hard... but if your confident go for it heh... i know its not attached to the outside but if done wrong youll notice a difference

good luck post pics when done!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 AM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutter View Post
1. So is interior lighting kid of useless unless you got nothing else to do?

2. Can you put in an Hid kit in later pretty easy if i dont have the cash for it right away?

3. Is Krylon any good or would you recommend doing it another way? Like is it sticky or grimy or anything like that or does it just feel like normal plastic smooth coat? also is the plasicc trim hard to take of and put on?

1. i wouldn't say its useless. i just got outa of the whole interior glow scene. i would always forget to turn it on at night so i just said the heck with it and took it out

2. yeah you can put an hid kit in easy. u just have to mount the ballast and ground the wires

3. krylon is good paint. isn't sticky or grimy. feels like normal plastic with a little gloss.
its not hard to take off. i used a flat head screw driver. i worked from the passenger side than driver than the middle.
ill take new pics of my trim later today as i painted a few other interior things last week
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
1. Ok, iv'e decided, no interior lighting, seems too much a pasin in the *** to do it.

2. I'm going to just buy the Halo LED Projectors and out HID's in when i have more money to do so. (These one I like a lot: http://www.amazon.com/05-08-Chevy-Co.../dp/B001FR0IK4) and on the subject of lights, are tail lights worth switchign out? does the LED tails even look that good?

3. Im still no sure on how easy trim is to pull off and on. Also unsure wether to use Krylon or to do the 3 step process of prime, paint, seal. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by jbutter; 09-18-2009 at 06:09 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Cobalt Master

led tail lights look amazing

imo i think only good ones are the ipcw ones
thats what i have and they look the best

and im telling you dude krylon fusion is reallly easy. just make sure ur pieces are clean and just do steady left to right motion and do a few coats.
id do one coat than let it dry for a few than do like 2 more
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
i just used triple 0 steel wool to take off the factory gray. cleaned with denatured alcohol, and painted with krylon fusion. 4 light coats. then cleared 2 coats, and it turned out great.
im no professional though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode