well theres good news and bad news - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

well theres good news and bad news

the good news is, ive successfully painted most of the parts of my inside trim either black or red, and ive also proven to that i could wire some led lights to a toggle switch and not kill myself via electrocution or blow up my car. woo! bad news is, im not 3000% sure which led lights to use, im going off a 12 volt power supply, and i bought some with built in resisters only thing is that they arnt that bright, and i would rather not have to sodder the led lights because that is a bit more work than me just using twist caps to connect them all... so any suggestions?

Red LED with Holder - RadioShack.com
is what i have and i just saw how they are just power indicators for things so i feel pretty dumb right now however, any hints tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
no clue cuz ive never messed w/ this stuff, but YAY that you didnt kill urself! haha

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
where are you putting these leds

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Forum God

I would rather get led strips off LEDs - underbody kits, cathodes, flexible LED strips, dome lights

They have great stuff and are really bright. Price isn't so bad either

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to thecashier
if u need any help i can tell you specifics on how i wired my leds, dealing with voltages, amp, etc. I'm on the 2nd 100 led project, so i do know a thing or two lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

wow. 100 leds. **** me right? i have like 2 in my cupholder that light up water bottles lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

yea i have quite a few in my car, when the sun goes down, my leds go on lol =)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

well, i successfully have 6 in my car right now, one in each of the cup holder things in the front, 2 under the driverside, and one in each door. omg, i never knew how much of a pain in the ass getting a wire to the door was. i still need to pu a couple more under the driverside to make a fuller light and then do the same on the passenger side, and thankfully it should be a bit easier considering the whole "grid" is there to tap into so i really dont have to do too much beside tapping a wire and tapeing the led up. yay!
i was scared poop-less earlier today when i blew a fuse because i short circuted the wire and both my 12 volt sources went out.... thankfully i found the fuse and they work fine now. but im excited that its going to be a lot easier to put more lights in. quick question though, does electrical tape do a good job for keeping the wires, led lights ect in place? i mean, i made holes for the ones i had to, but i just taped the ones under the driver side and i was wondering if that holds pretty well
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Forum Regular

electrical tape might hold the led in place for the short term, but when the weather turns cold, the tape might contract and fall off the led(s) (not sure if electrical tape contracts with the temperature). I would hot glue them, or maybe some fast setting glue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode