Help with Installing LED Underbody Lights - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Help with Installing LED Underbody Lights

i posted a thread earlier about a question on witch LED set to get and ive decided and my order will be here Wednesday i have looked up how to's on the net and ive looked for videos but cant find any..
ive never installed underglow before so if you could post up a quick reply on how specific to the cobalt or maybe some pictures of battery connection and such just any general help to a first timer here than thank you.

here is the kit i ordered
Red Wireless Remote LED Underbody Kit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

your car is so clean man! please don't do it.. lol. everyone else on here will like underglow though. just kinda ricey and really played out to me.

Just call me Mr.June____________________Flat Broke Mafia Member#2
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributor

nothin ricey about givin your car a little glow as long as its not overdone. I have Suspension green LEDS glowing out my wheels and I love them.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Newcomer

Ok I will tell you what i did for my car:

First ( you may not have to ). I took some automotive electrical cable and extended every wire by about 4-5 feet. It may have been over kill, but it came in handy for my rear light.

Second (you may not want to ). I ran all the wires through a wire loom. There were four wires per led strip. ( 1 for each side ). Looks a great dealerbetter, and helped me keep track of them.

Then I fastened 16 gauge terminal connectors to the power and ground wires
from my control box.

Then i got a large amount of zip ties. There were about a foot long.

Then i secured them to bottom of my car with the zip ties. underneath the body i attached them to some black clips on the sides and rear of the car. And for the front I used some big silver bar I saw.

For the power wires. I ran the right side and rear tube down the same side. and ran them through a hole in the wheel well. The left tube's power wires were ran through that same hole in the wheel well.

I had the open the hole a bit wider. I used a screw driver and got the hole large enough. Your mileage may differ depending on the connectors you have.

Then I hooked them up, and then to my battery. I had a purely wireless kit. So i didnt have to run anything INSIDE my car. You may have to, and i cant help you there. I dont know of anyholes you can use.I am sure there are holes thru the firewall though into the passenger cabin. Somewhere.

Hit me up for anything else.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmwannabee View Post
your car is so clean man! please don't do it.. lol. everyone else on here will like underglow though. just kinda ricey and really played out to me.
i feel ya.. but i cant void warranty with anything else so while im still under warranty im trying to do as much modding as i can.

plus i think itl look pretty rad IMO but i deffinitley feel you on the ricer part,my buddy has a civic he bought off a mexican and you can see where that one went... lol its bright purple lowered alot with underglow and a really bad sounding exhaust lol

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks Shookum2004

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode