HID Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Red face HID Questions

Alright guys... I recently payed off my 07 Orange Cobalt LT Coupe... I am trying to give myself a reason to keep the car, as I just purchased a Sky Redline... I want to make the Cobalt a project car, and to eventually give to my girlfriend... as its got 110k miles less on it than her old Sebring.

The only thing im really having trouble with is HID, and HID kits. Prices seem to range from $40 to $300... I am really not sure what I am looking for, and looking back through old posts has basically led me to alot of posts of people saying they've done the mod, it was easy and it looks amazing.

Does anyone have a link to where they actually purchased the HID? Money really isnt a huge issue, but obviously as cheap as possible is always a good thing, as I dont drive the cobalt much anymore....

As far as I know I need 9007 (Not even sure what that is) and I really like 6k and 8k as far as colors and visibility.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Viper33884 Send a message via MSN to Viper33884 Send a message via Yahoo to Viper33884
I'll put it as straight as possible, don't skimp on HID kits. I bought mine thru a vendor on another Cobalt site for $130 shipped for one set, bought 2 and from the time I sent the money to the time I got them didn't even make it 24 hours.

One of my fogs burnt out after about 3 months of use, the ballast went with it, strange but crap happens, so with the money I didn't skimp on mine included a warranty and it was replaced no questions asked.

And 9007 is your bulb size, I have the 1st gen projectors which you have to mod to fit the HIDs for the return and there H1 and the fogs are H11.

I'm no expert but I do read a lot and I have worked on $million+ pieces of equipment at a theme park along with there electronics and now work at a collision center so I'm constantly working on cars and I see a lot of rigged up crap come in.

That being said, take my advice or others to tell you it doesn't matter what you buy there all the same...well w/e find out for yourself.

And HIDs in the stock light housing will glare like crazy and I'm sure you will get plenty of people flashing you and not in a good way.

Last but not least the Kelvin range for HIDs.

I have 6000K top and bottom and it looks awesome, mostly white but a small hue of blue. The higher the Kelvin Temperature the more color out put but it's not as bright, thus giving the reason I stuck with 6000K.

Hope this helps.

Ryan aka Viper33884 | '06 Cobalt SS 2.4L | Userbars.com Admin
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ramphex
I didn't have to modify anything for them to fit into the stock headlights. If you're going to get something look for hi-lo hid kids since you don't want to lose a function of your high beams (won't pass the inspection). I got my kit from vvme.com and they're still working great... as said in previous post if you don't want a ricer look, go with 6000k

2010 Cobalt SS: Full Bolt-Ons, tuned. -- Sold.
2014 WW Evo GSR: S/S & Interior Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode