HID Lights - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

HID Lights

hey guys quick question.. with HID lights do i just buy the bulbs or do i have to buy a conversion kit first?? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Forum God

Garage
conversion....or you can get those fake hid bulbs...i used to have sum n they were legit, theyre like 30 buks at pepboys lol

R.I.P. :(

Hello
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

does anyone have any website recommendations

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ramphex
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dr-LS View Post
conversion....or you can get those fake hid bulbs...i used to have sum n they were legit, theyre like 30 buks at pepboys lol
Disregard everything he said.

HID kit is a "conversion" kit... even though you're really not converting anything. The kit comes with 2 bulbs, some wiring and 2 ballasts. You hook up your original plug to the ballast. The ballasts are needed there to produce enough power to power up the HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs. Bulbs go into the headlights just like any other bulb would and then the wire from it goes to the ballast. The hardest part of the installation is to find somewhere to mount the ballasts, other than that, it's a piece of cake.

DO NOT waste your time and money on stupid fake xenon bulbs from pepboys while you can get a single beam kit for about the same price from vvme.com. Personally I'd recommend the hi-lo kit so you don't lose your high-beam feature (will be needed to pass inspection) and the HID hi-beams are awesome when you're on backroads and need to light up the area.

Also I'd suggest going with 6000k if you're using stock headlights for the maximum light output and less color (more lumens and less ricer looking).

The higher the kelvin temperature the less lumens and the more color HIDs produce.

2010 Cobalt SS: Full Bolt-Ons, tuned. -- Sold.
2014 WW Evo GSR: S/S & Interior Package
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ok that clears a lot up for me thanks
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CobaltKatsu Send a message via MSN to CobaltKatsu
clears it up for me too lol, but i think im gonna buy halos and all that fun stuffff

2008 Silver LS, 2.2L, 18" wheels, Airbox Mod Rockford Fosgate 10s', Stock Deck, 20% Tint, 10k HIDs, Tsudo N-1, Megan Racing Coilovers
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphex View Post
Disregard everything he said.

HID kit is a "conversion" kit... even though you're really not converting anything. The kit comes with 2 bulbs, some wiring and 2 ballasts. You hook up your original plug to the ballast. The ballasts are needed there to produce enough power to power up the HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs. Bulbs go into the headlights just like any other bulb would and then the wire from it goes to the ballast. The hardest part of the installation is to find somewhere to mount the ballasts, other than that, it's a piece of cake.

DO NOT waste your time and money on stupid fake xenon bulbs from pepboys while you can get a single beam kit for about the same price from vvme.com. Personally I'd recommend the hi-lo kit so you don't lose your high-beam feature (will be needed to pass inspection) and the HID hi-beams are awesome when you're on backroads and need to light up the area.

Also I'd suggest going with 6000k if you're using stock headlights for the maximum light output and less color (more lumens and less ricer looking).

The higher the kelvin temperature the less lumens and the more color HIDs produce.
wow you know everything don't you

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphex View Post
While you can get a single beam kit for about the same price from vvme.com. Personally I'd recommend the hi-lo kit so you don't lose your high-beam feature (will be needed to pass inspection) and the HID hi-beams are awesome when you're on backroads and need to light up the area.
Can you even pass inspection with HIDs and stock housings?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
i've heard that HIDs in any aftermarket form are illegal, its probably all up to the garage if they will pass you or not

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode