Remove Lights when Installing HID? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Exclamation Remove Lights when Installing HID?

hey guys,

Just wondering for those of you who installed you HID kits, did you have to remove the headlight housings, cuz it's reeeal tight back there and I doubt i'll be able to change the bulbs. If you didn't have to remove them, then tell me how you were able to fit the bulbs in the housings. I'm waiting on some help so i can get started installin them so reply asap! thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Cobalt Master

take out the 2 10 mm nuts on top of the headlight bracket holding the headlights to the bracket.than remove the little clips on the grille. and than pull the headlight out

it isnt that hard
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

lol yep I figured it out right after i posted...didn't feel like waiting for a response lol. HID's installed but they gave me wrong color temp. of course. huuh.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05
HIDs in stock housing?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Forum God

Yeah. Remove headlights and then headlight brackets. Only way to install hids. Tip: install hid ballasts on the underside of the brackets. Got both my fog and headlight hids there

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Cobalt Master

lol you don't need to remove the headlight bracket to take the headlight out.
just the 2 bolts and the clips on the grille

my ballasts are mounted on my side fender
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gCobalt05 View Post
HIDs in stock housing?
Yup. Had projector HID's in my old car, and wanted to try a set in stock housings for my new cobalt. They are aimed low, and really don't disturb anyone as far as i can see after installing them. I will see how they are tonight, but so far I really like them! Will take pics soon.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
Yup. Had projector HID's in my old car, and wanted to try a set in stock housings for my new cobalt. They are aimed low, and really don't disturb anyone as far as i can see after installing them. I will see how they are tonight, but so far I really like them! Will take pics soon.
I love mine. I have 8Ks in the stock housings, look really sharp.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
I love mine. I have 8Ks in the stock housings, look really sharp.
Ok so I installed the lights and they're like really white, not much blue in them...im 90% sure that they sent me the wrong bulb color temp...looks more like 6000k. Will get some night shots and make a thread. Kinda sucks i really wanted the 8000k....but maybe they are, just the DDM 8000k have less blue than other brands? dunno...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
Ok so I installed the lights and they're like really white, not much blue in them...im 90% sure that they sent me the wrong bulb color temp...looks more like 6000k. Will get some night shots and make a thread. Kinda sucks i really wanted the 8000k....but maybe they are, just the DDM 8000k have less blue than other brands? dunno...
Yeah, this is what mine look like during the day (when they're not on). At night they look way bluer than they are cause the cameras just take in all the light from them.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode