Fog Light Placement - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Fog Light Placement

Hey all you with LT or base models with the front bumpers with the three lower grills that come out. Where is a good place to mount fog lights? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Did you try thinking about just getting the covers that have the cutouts for the foglights. heres a link.

Chevy Cobalt Parts - GMPartsClub.com

Click front bumper, bumper and compenents, outer grille, w/foglamps, there ya go.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to IncrediBalt
Lemme know how that works out, cuz i bought some foglight grills and oem foglights and trust me, the lights don't just pop right in on an LT. The bumper is shaped differently behind the grills than on a car that came with fogs.

White '07 LT coupe with lotsa purple stuff.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediBalt View Post
Lemme know how that works out, cuz i bought some foglight grills and oem foglights and trust me, the lights don't just pop right in on an LT. The bumper is shaped differently behind the grills than on a car that came with fogs.
I don't see how it is, mine has the whole cutout and everything for the fog right behind the black grill. I also pulled my trim piece by the steering wheel and there is a harness plug for the fog light switch along with the plugs on each side of the bumper for the fogs. Just need fogs and grills and switch and I'm good to go.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to IncrediBalt
yeah I'm just a moron who cant figure out how to mount a foglight into a hole that's not even remotely the same size or shape.

Everybody asks about adding foglights in the stock location and has been for years. Everyone else tells them just buy the lights and the grills. Never seen a single person actually do it. If they have, they sure kept it to themselves, even when I asked about it repeatedly.
this bumper is an LS with factory fogs. See how shallow and form-fitted the opening is? The gap in my LT bumper is a lot deeper and more recessed than that, plus the actual opening is about twice as big and not shaped at all, it's just a hole.

Does anyone know if the bumpers or the foglights themselves changed shape over the years? I bought the fog grills from someone here and they popped right in, but they were from a newer 'Balt. The backside of the fog opening in the grille is notched in a manner that does not fit in with the light assembly itself, and the whole opening area recesses into the gap in the bumper

White '07 LT coupe with lotsa purple stuff.

Last edited by IncrediBalt; 11-20-2009 at 06:29 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Newcomer

Hey-

I am putting fog lights in my 07 LT right now that has the removable grill inserts. I have the EXACT same problem as you do. On some bumpers, the hole is meant for the light to basically screw in there, while mine will either have to have a build up with fiberglass, or attach the light to the grille inserts themselves. I am doing the whole thing this coming Friday. I am doing the whole factory look, so I had to get a nice wiring harness, a new trim piece, two new fog light assemblies and everything. I will try to let you know ASAP. If I haven't responded by Monday, PM me and I will let you know then.

-deereclaasman

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT. Sport Red, moonroof, HID headlights & fog lights. 35% tinted windows, 6 CD deck, chrome door handles.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
I've looked into it, if you look around there are two part numbers for the same fog light. one has the mounting behind the bumper cutout, the other has it mounting to the grill assembly itself... beats the hell out of me why they changed them. but hey, my wiring is there, I just need the $90 per fog and $30 per grill to get them and then the friggen $50 for the little switch...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Newcomer

Fog Lights

Hey guys!

I installed the OEM fog lights this past week. It is pretty damn easy. The most time consuming part is trying to find the OEM parts to work....I had to go to various places to get them. Once you get the wiring harness installed, the bumper cover goes back on easy as pie, and then you just have to take it to your chevy dealer to get the BCM reprogrammed. I even had to modify my bumper cover so that the fog lights would stay in since mine wasn't the correct one, and I didnt feel like going out to get a different one painted. If anyone has questions about installing OEM fog light system, give me a shout or a PM.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT. Sport Red, moonroof, HID headlights & fog lights. 35% tinted windows, 6 CD deck, chrome door handles.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Newcomer

Hey,

I got looking and did you still want to know what I did to modify the bumper that you are talking about? The OEM fog lights are literally supposed to snap into the bumper, but the one that I had, I had to think of something to make it work. Let me know!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ClutchFoot Send a message via Yahoo to ClutchFoot Send a message via Skype™ to ClutchFoot

before i painted my lights

After painted the lights
I cut parts of the grille out and placed them in that way.

Last edited by ClutchFoot; 03-25-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode