H.I.D Issues... Maybe Have Some Suggestions?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

H.I.D Issues... Maybe Have Some Suggestions??

So, i have a set of HIDs, had em' for about 2 months now, love them to death!! But, just recently they've started to flicker when I start up my beast, and then the drivers side will end up dying out, so then I have to turn the lights completely off and turn em' back on, usually have to do this 3 or 4 times and then the car will be warmed up enough to keep the light on, or the balast to warm up... Not sure.. But anyways, all wires are good, connections are good. For my hot spot I plugged it directly onto the alternator nut that sticks out right below, I was kinda stoked when I found that...

Also, when the H.I.Ds are on my FM stereo gets fuzzy.. Any ideas on that?? Kinda boggled and bothered me...

All help will be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05
Bump for some help.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Sounds like one or both ballasts are leaking RFI - contact the manufacturer and ask them to provide a replacment ballast that does not leak radio frequency interference.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Schweet. That's good to know about the radio! Think it's a bum ballast for the flickering and dying too? Or maybe a bad hot spot?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Expert

when i had my 9007 kit... they would die out all the time... eventaly there where salt deposits on the left bulb and it burned out... since u only had yer kit for a few months id contact yer dealer and try to get a new one... goodluck man

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

so many hid kits are made now that its hard to get a good brand name pair for a good price.. if you don't spend atleast 150 on a pair your gonna end up replacing your ballast every few months.

Just call me Mr.June____________________Flat Broke Mafia Member#2
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmwannabee View Post
so many hid kits are made now that its hard to get a good brand name pair for a good price.. if you don't spend atleast 150 on a pair your gonna end up replacing your ballast every few months.
I spent 250 on my quality brand so I must be good to go, haha.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

I spent good money on my pilot's they only do this when my battery is low. my battery is shot. trust me it's the battery. they need some quality amperage to start up and warm up correctly.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Forum God

well, I had 2 HID kits on the ol' civic, and had this issue the first time I got my HID projector headlights. I realised l8r on it was because of a fuse under the hood. One side would flash then not come on. The stupid garage I USED to go to looked at it and tol me it was probably the DRL control box and asked me if I wanted to pay $150 plus labour to change it...I weas like Èscrew thatÈ so i fixed it myself with some rewiring, and at the same time added a seperate HID kit on the low/non-projector beam. They lasted over a year, I think when i got my cobalt and returned the civic to stock, one bulb was burned. And they were not expensive kits either. Ballasts all seemed to be intact though. Only problem I could think of for you would be the battery like ff drift said, or a wiring issue. Check your bulbs and fuses. Let us know when you find out what it is!

Oh and switch your ballasts on one side to another and you'll know right away if their the problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Forum God

so far ive had mine for 4 months and theyre the cheap kind. working great with no problems. i would never buy $150 + hids

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode