Paint Scratches - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Paint Scratches

Today im washing my car after i get out to look theres a bunch of swirly scratches from the car wash is the paint cheap or is it just me? Anyone else experience this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Forum Regular

paint is cheap. I can't really tell but it looks like you have a black balt. swirl marks are a big battle on these car esp black.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
are you going through a touch-less car wash? if the car wash uses brushes or anything like that you are going to get scratches. and like tuner said, with a black car they show up very easily. This is not an issue with just a cobalt. it will happen to any paint job. The only true way to fix it will be to buff it out. or you can try some black wax or even regular wax and that will help make them less noticeable. buffing is the best way though because that actually eliminates the scratches instead of just trying to hide them. when you wash your car try to use a microfiber wash mit or something extremely soft and make sure to rinse it often to eliminate dirt from scratching the paint.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Veteran

Garage
go with s scratch free was or something similar you can apply it yourself and you will be surprise with the results
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
yea thanks ima try to wax and buff it cause the scratches look really horrible and noticeable close up, and yea my car is black.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Contributor

Yes same thing on my car. :( And defiantly extremely cheap paint, my car is 6 years old I see cars that are 15 years old with better paint.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Forum God

Yep, I washed my car 2 days ago and waxed etc. Every 2 weeks I generally wash and quick wax my car, and every time, i notice more and more rock chips and paint scratches. Someone on here insisted the rock chips were from tailgating, so I made extra sure to stay really far away from any other cars on the road. I still noticed new rock chips. And random scratches in some places that I have no idea how they got there...I don't think the paint job is the best, I wish they had another layer or two of added protection clearcoat paint on these cars...I'll probably end up changing my hood, i'mma clearcoat the f*ck outta it first!! Same wih ss bodykit when I paint it, gonna ask the guy to put extra clear on it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
Yep, I washed my car 2 days ago and waxed etc. Every 2 weeks I generally wash and quick wax my car, and every time, i notice more and more rock chips and paint scratches. Someone on here insisted the rock chips were from tailgating, so I made extra sure to stay really far away from any other cars on the road. I still noticed new rock chips. And random scratches in some places that I have no idea how they got there...I don't think the paint job is the best, I wish they had another layer or two of added protection clearcoat paint on these cars...I'll probably end up changing my hood, i'mma clearcoat the f*ck outta it first!! Same wih ss bodykit when I paint it, gonna ask the guy to put extra clear on it.
I did the exact same thing! Still noticing chips on the car. Really starting to piss me off.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
That was me that said that. and yes tailgating will cause rock chips but that is only one of the possibilities. I was just suggesting that because it seems like everyone on the roads these days follows too close. I will agree that our cars don't have a high end/ high quality paint job. but, any car no matter how expensive the paint job is will get scratched and nicked if you don't take good care of it.

I've had my car for almost 13,000 miles now and it only has very minor scratches and only like 3 or 4 tiny rock chips the size of the tip of a pen.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklide View Post
Yes same thing on my car. :( And defiantly extremely cheap paint, my car is 6 years old I see cars that are 15 years old with better paint.
believe me these people with cars that are 15 years old and have better paint than yours either took Extremely good care of the car or had it repainted or buffed at one time. there is no way a 15 year old paint job will look super nice with the average person owning that car.

Last edited by blazerlow; 04-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Forum God

I detail my car once every few weeks, I get alot of compliments but I have spent 12 hours on my car before. For you guys that don't have access to a machine buffer or feel comfortable using one if you want really good results I suggest taking it to a detailing shop, they will make your paint look new again.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode