Bowtie Question! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Bowtie Question!

Ok I know this is kind of a noob question, but is the only way to get the gold inside the bowtie to be black is to paint it? Or does the bowtie come off or something? I really want mine to be black instead of gold. I saw a cobalt that had one but it doesn't look like it is painted. Could someone tell me how to get the gold to be black without painting it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Forum God

The only way to make it black is to paint it. You can buy bowties from 24designs.net but they do not look OEM. And the front bowtie is held on by a few nuts, you just have to unscrew them from behind the grille. And the back bowtie you would have to take fishing line or something to get it off, I used heat and kept working it to it finally came off.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's

Last edited by BlackARCA06; 05-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
ado
Forum Regular

Open your hood and look behind the bowtie. You will see two screws, just take those off and your bowtie will slide out. You will need to paint it, or have someone else paint it for you. I'm not completely sure what you mean by it doesn't look painted. I guess you can take a lighter to it and burn it till its black.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
I am finishing mine as we speek, removed the chevy emblem from the chrome basket, wet sand 2000 grit, 4 coats flat black, 5 coats clear, wetsand, polishing compound on orbital, Meguiars scratch X on orbital, 2 coats wax.

Mirror finish, looks niceeee.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

oh so i guess it is all painted one way or another. i wasnt really sure if you could just remove the gold or not cuz i never took mine off because i didnt want to mess anything up. thanks a bunch for the help! it will have to be my project for tomorrow
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertype View Post
oh so i guess it is all painted one way or another. i wasnt really sure if you could just remove the gold or not cuz i never took mine off because i didnt want to mess anything up. thanks a bunch for the help! it will have to be my project for tomorrow
The chevy emblem is held on to the chrome basket by double sided tape, use a piece of fishing line ans start from one corner and cut your way thru. The emblem is factory tinted on the inside with a gold flake. the gold falke will come off but when applied it actually stains the inside of the clear plastic gold also, so the only way is to paint the outside.

Good luck.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Newcomer

my friend uses vinyl to cover them up and it looks good... in my opinion at least lol.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ok so i was cleaning the gold flake crap off and snapped the plastic. so im just getting custom ones now haha i feel pretty retarded. well thanks again for all the help guys
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bbrewbaker
Is there any special double sided tape needed to put the gold emblem back on the chrome basket?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Forum God

the usual 3m stuff is probably too thick. im not sure though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode