Engine Bay Paint - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Engine Bay Paint

I found threads with similar titles, but none that talked about what I mean by it.

So I have a metallic gold cobalt and although I find the color somewhat limiting when compared to my tastes and the customizing id like to do, I still dont hate it and will work with it the best I can.

I saw a couple pictures of an engine bay which appeared to have all been painted black even though that wasnt the color of the car. It made the engine stand out even more and didnt look bad when combined with the other color of the car.

Right now I have some things painted red under the hood and lots of the metal is either bright n shiny already or on its way there. So what im wondering is if its possible to paint the engine bay without taking out the engine, tranny, etc or if it wouldnt come out nice enough to be worth all the effort.

Plus I dont have an air gun or any painting experience with one, so Id probably be stuck using high temp spray paint.

All the tan area encircled in green at the top is what id like to paint. Im not sure if id paint the bottom strip however, since thats out by the bumper

GpB311 Showoff Profile https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ngeles-ca.html

You might also know me as Dick Thrusthumper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

metallic gold? wtf? can you post a pic of your car?
best thing to do is pull the motor, do a wire tuck and shave all the holes

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
well its like a metallic tan/gold color...2005 LS

this is some woman with an 05LS, but its what mine looks like except my wheels are a little bit nicer and I have the xm antenna on top.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332718

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

the paint is extra dull in the engine bay, so Id like to refresh it one way or another and I figured black would look alright.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

wow i wish my car was that color especially the interior!

i think a flamboyant color like baby blue or a nice satin deep red would look sick. i plan to do my engine bay gold once i pull this thing off the road so i can pull the motor finally. i've done wonderful things with rattle can paint. it'd come out twice as good with a paint gun, but it's just an engine bay. it gets dirty.

Last edited by ff_drift_lol; 07-20-2010 at 10:32 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I dont think I have any real way of pulling the motor out presently, plus Ive never done anything that serious before. I was hoping to be able to tape off and plastic all the stuff I dont want painted, but thered def be tough spots to get to.

I suppose I could do a darker red than what I currently have things painted, but I was just planning on keeping it a bit boring with the black. Would I want to use like a typical caliper paint after priming with some high temp primer?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I think ive decided after researching the web that it might be best to just get some color match paint and refresh what there is in my engine bay...add some clear coat too. Just to make it pop n shine a little better.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Figured Id just bump my old thread since its on a similar topic.

Instead of repainting the engine bay I decided to just clean it up as best I could given the somewhat thin, crappy quality of the paint job in there and then clear coat everything. I told the guy at pepboys what I wanted to do and he recommended a certain automotive clearcoat that should hold up to higher temps and look good on auto paint. Heres hoping he was right because id hate for it to turn yellow or peel from the heat.

Heres how it looks thus far...wish I had taken before pics to show how crappy it looked.

Im just wondering if anyone else has done something like this? I clear coated the space between the trunk and the body of the car where water channels through down past the tail lights as well. (Whatever its called) Figured since its not hot there I should def not have any problems and it looks better and maybe will stay cleaner or be easier to clean.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Newcomer

Garage
that last pic looks glossy

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
It looks nice, but I hope you at least scuffed the paint before you sprayed the clear. If not chances are pretty good it's gonna peel eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode