Window Tint? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Question Window Tint?

Anyone do their own tint? I was curious as to how hard it would be. Also for the fellow pa drivers what's the darkest tint legal in pa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
no b to b's when you're in the v and the a.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
You live in Bever Falls correct? Well the cops in that area are *******s and you will be stoped and ticketed within months. There are allot of people who are going to tell you that any tint in Pa is illegal, with the exception of factory and a medical permit for vision issues. But the truth is Tint is not illegal in Pa, I used to assist a window tint professional and have worked in performence and accessory shops for 13 years. The law in PA is written incorrectly, and I have personally been released from 4 tickets after going to court, and know countless others that have also been released after learning this information. From what I understand county officers in Berks County PA do not even enforce the so called tint law anymore because of how it is written. I am at work right now but I will post the "PA code" later and tell you why it is written incorrectly.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler14blank View Post
Anyone do their own tint? I was curious as to how hard it would be. Also for the fellow pa drivers what's the darkest tint legal in pa?
don't quote me but i think our legal limit is 70%. i did mine at 20 and have had no problems but some cops are worse about it than others...

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPPEDATBIRTH View Post
You live in Bever Falls correct? Well the cops in that area are *******s and you will be stoped and ticketed within months. There are allot of people who are going to tell you that any tint in Pa is illegal, with the exception of factory and a medical permit for vision issues. But the truth is Tint is not illegal in Pa, I used to assist a window tint professional and have worked in performence and accessory shops for 13 years. The law in PA is written incorrectly, and I have personally been released from 4 tickets after going to court, and know countless others that have also after learning this information. From what i understand county officers in Berks County PA do not even enforce the so called tint law anymore becuase of how it is written. I am at work right now but I will post the "PA code" later and tell you why it is written incorrectly.
You're 100% right about beaver falls... if he lives there I wouldn't do it.. my cousin gets ticketed constantly

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Get Out The Sawzall

Garage
Also window tinting is not as easy as it looks, side windows and rear wing windows on the Cobalt are not that hard and with time and a little patients you could probally do a good job, the rear window is a whole different story. A one piece rear window is very complicated, and the rear dot matrix is very complicated. Most tinters are using a black vinyl strip for the dot matrix and overlaping the tint for the rest of the rear window.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Quote:
Also window tinting is not as easy as it looks, side windows and rear wing windows on the Cobalt are not that hard and with time and a little patients you could probally do a good job, the rear window is a whole different story. A one piece rear window is very complicated, and the rear dot matrix is very complicated. Most tinters are using a black vinyl strip for the dot matrix and overlaping the tint for the rest of the rear window.
The guy who did mine just tinted it up there as much as he could in the rear window... Came out looking like ass, even had him redo it once but he said it couldn't be done. I've seen 1 or 2 other Cobalts with the rear window tinted the same way as mine. A vinyl strip would have probably been a good idea to cover it up, cause it doesn't look too even, but what are you gonna do?

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
i agree. if you have an idea what to do you should be able to do the sides. the back window i doubt it will turn out very good
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Get Out The Sawzall

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroheadZ28 View Post
The guy who did mine just tinted it up there as much as he could in the rear window... Came out looking like ass, even had him redo it once but he said it couldn't be done. I've seen 1 or 2 other Cobalts with the rear window tinted the same way as mine. A vinyl strip would have probably been a good idea to cover it up, cause it doesn't look too even, but what are you gonna do?
If done correctly you cannot even tell the transition from the tint to vinyl strip from the outside. Generally the Dot Matrix only comes down about 3.5 to 4 inches so the strip of vinyl just blends in.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

was thinking about 5 percent on the back and rear windows and 20 on the door windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
no b to b's when you're in the v and the a.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Forum God

I have a vinyl strip to cover the gap on my rear window.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
i have the vinyl strip too. with 20% in back and 35% on sides... i wish i would have just gone 20% all around... what is written wrong in the law i would like to know ? you know just incase i need to fight it haha

2006 ls laser metallic blue 5 speed. Injen CAI
35% tint sides 20% in rear.
Leather Recaro's seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
tint , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode