Mini Morimoto D2S Retro - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Contributor
 
arman14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houstonee
Posts: 379
Send a message via MSN to arman14
Mini Morimoto D2S Retro

This is my second retro attempt and I think I'm doing good so far.
I used FX-Rs on my first retro but one of the projectors was off rotation and I wasn't able to fix it because my car is my daily driver so I decided to build another set.

I bought everything at The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Here's what I'll be using.


Cobalt headlight taken apart.





I had to do some trimming but nothing serious, I also sanded the reflector.




Painted shroud and mounted projector.






I'm going to aim the projectors tomorrow, and I'll be updating soon.


Last edited by arman14; 08-31-2010 at 06:37 PM.
arman14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Contributor
 
ADIDASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland, Michigan
Posts: 280
Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
Looks good! I have the same project I need to start soon. I think there might be something wrong with my one projector though. I need to get a picture of it and send it Matt at TRS. I got there stage III setup as well as some 6k fog setup. I want to start it, but I need to get some time to do so. Any tips or extra pics you take would benefit me tremendously! Keep up the good work. What are you using to seal stuff up and getting it to stay?

Last edited by ADIDASS; 08-08-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Fod=fog
ADIDASS is offline  
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
that looks great man! gives me a great idea about how to do mine! keep the pics coming man! and if you could give me some tips on aiming them? are you going to re-attach them temporarily to the bumper and adjust the screws accordingly?
BboyTaktix is offline  
 
post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mechancisburg, PA
Posts: 7,805
Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
damn i can't wait to see the final project



camopaint0707 is offline  
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Contributor
 
arman14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houstonee
Posts: 379
Send a message via MSN to arman14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIDASS View Post
Looks good! I have the same project I need to start soon. I think there might be something wrong with my one projector though. I need to get a picture of it and send it Matt at TRS. I got there stage III setup as well as some 6k fod setup. I want to start it, but I need to get some time to do so. Any tips or extra pics you take would benefit me tremendously! Keep up the good work. What are you using to seal stuff up and getting it to stay?
What's wrong with yours?
I have some hotspots that I'm trying to fix,I'll take some more pics eventually.
A couple of tools that you'll need is a dremel and a belt sander because you have to sand down the rear part of the reflector you know where the bulb sits at, and I'm using Clear RTV Silicone to seal it up, that's why I used on my last retro and I can't complain.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
that looks great man! gives me a great idea about how to do mine! keep the pics coming man! and if you could give me some tips on aiming them? are you going to re-attach them temporarily to the bumper and adjust the screws accordingly?
Thanks
I'm gonna aim them on my garage, and I'm gonna do a final test before I seal the headlights up.
This video may give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
YouTube - (2) How to build HID projector headlights

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
damn i can't wait to see the final project
Thanks man.
I'll be updating soon.

arman14 is offline  
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Contributor
 
ADIDASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland, Michigan
Posts: 280
Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arman14 View Post
What's wrong with yours?
I have some hotspots that I'm trying to fix,I'll take some more pics eventually.
A couple of tools that you'll need is a dremel and a belt sander because you have to sand down the rear part of the reflector you know where the bulb sits at, and I'm using Clear RTV Silicone to seal it up, that's why I used on my last retro and I can't complain.
Around the edge of one of the projectors it looks as if the lens or the glass is cracked or broken. If I turn the projector so the lens points to the ceiling, and rotate it in my hand everything looks smooth, except this one area looks like there is an air bubble of glass. It's very weird... I wish I had them here so I could try to take a picture of it. Looking directly down on the projector you wouldn't even notice it's there. It's when you turn is to the side you see it.

I watched all those videos.
ADIDASS is offline  
post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Contributor
 
arman14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houstonee
Posts: 379
Send a message via MSN to arman14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIDASS View Post
Around the edge of one of the projectors it looks as if the lens or the glass is cracked or broken. If I turn the projector so the lens points to the ceiling, and rotate it in my hand everything looks smooth, except this one area looks like there is an air bubble of glass. It's very weird... I wish I had them here so I could try to take a picture of it. Looking directly down on the projector you wouldn't even notice it's there. It's when you turn is to the side you see it.



I watched all those videos.
Take a couple of pics and send them to Matt, I'm pretty sure he would send a new projector.
What shrouds did you get?

arman14 is offline  
post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Cobalt Specialist


 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntington, TX
Posts: 1,306
Garage
looks good D.

i have a set of retros setting in my back room.. theyre my buddys tho not mine :( ive thought about test fitting them on my car tho lol
dman090 is offline  
post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Contributor
 
ADIDASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland, Michigan
Posts: 280
Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
I got the E55, the same as you! But I also got a set of CCFL's go put on them. I'm going to get my stuff in a week or so and start doing the project.
ADIDASS is offline  
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
FFUUUUhhhhhkkkkk if only i had the money now! my system just cost me quite a bit and i'm still not done insulating and trunk layout etc...so i'll have to wait another month or so to get this project on the go. We will def. have to start a 'retrofit showoff' thread or something since a bunch of us are doing them now :D
BboyTaktix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome