Painting Rims? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Painting Rims?

Ok i know there are a few threads about this already but i need some help.

I have a 2006 Cobalt Lt Sedan Stock except for trim on the interior i painted red.

My cobalt is red with stock Aluminum rims. How would i go about painting these black? What kinds of paint? Do i sand down? Do i have to take tires off or can i just cover with paper that's meant for painting? I would really like to do this any help would be appreciated. If pictures are available on this that would be fantastic or a guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Contributor

Garage
here's what i did

I took the wheel off tapped of the tire and any other parts i dident want to get paint on with 1" blue painters tape.The I took 180 grit sand paper ans sanded in the "grain of the wheel " so to speak. then i cleaned it down with prep wipes to remove all types of dust and debree before priming.

For the priming i used dupi color sandable primer flat black did like 2 coats of it. you really wanna make sure that you cover it with primer well. as far as paint goes i used a flat black 500 degree engine paint also by dupi color. again i did 2 coats of that always making sure to say 12" away from the wheel so i did not get any drip marks.

for a finish its up to you i would recommend clear coating it with a non yellowing indoor/outdoor finish so that you have a little protection from the elements. that will give you a glossy finish compared to a matte finish. Again making sure to say 12" away from the wheel so i did not get any drip marks.

let dry and put back on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode