Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluster and Pillar Came In. Pillar Question

4K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  MyBalt10 
#1 ·
Ok my 08 ss cluster came in today, along with the pillar. I want to use the stock gauge for the vacuum. (Wire colors are from top to bottom in first picture) Black with a white stripe, pink, tannish color, and green. What is each wire for and how can I wire up this gauge to work on an ls model. I decided not to get the voltmeter if I can get this gauge to work. I would really like to use it for the vacuum. Also how do I get the stock pillar in the car out without messing up the airbag? Any help will really be appreciated.

See less See more
#17 ·
These gauges are very useful on non boosted cars. Not for the boost side, but for the vac side. The higher your vac at speed the better your mpg. In fact it used to be that during the oil shortages in the 80's some cars and trucks came with "economy gauges". These were nothing more than vac gauges with a different overlay.

These days the instant mpg monitor built into the car is better than a vac gauge, but given the placement on the pillar the vac gauge maybe more visible.

#15 ·
You could do voltage or something like that...i guess...i had that exact same thing on this laptop, idk how it went away...but it just did, my computer must have just caught up with it...hmmm

#18 ·
Mechanical gauges are much better, since they have no lag at all and show you every little discrepancy.

#20 ·
You might get shit for it, yes.

#22 ·
Glowshift has some.

#23 ·
off-topic: on the topic of your computer virus, if you cant get the internet to open, just download malware bytes or some other anti virus stuff onto a usb stick or other removable storage device from another computer. Then transfer it over to your infected computer.

#31 ·
Given that you are installing a pure Vac gauge is it safe to assume that you are using this to improve your mpg?

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Even if not I would be very interested to see what you reading on the gauge is at idle...

#32 ·
When I first start the car she idles around 20-21, but then after a minute or so it settles to about 19 1/2. Today I drove it three miles to the gas station and it was about the same, 19 1/2, almost 20. O also it was steady, not moving. The only time it would move was when I first start the car, 20-21. When I let off the gas and let it coast slow without giving gas in reverse or drive it would move too. And yes, I would like to get better mpg, cause the way I have driven just sucks the gas right out the tank. :-x

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.