Rocker Panel Damage - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Rocker Panel Damage

So i damaged my rocker panels on my passenger side. The shop is saying 500 to pull out the dent and repaint with scratchguard (to help keep of any future damage) 600 to get it exactly how it was before

Option B- Install body kit side skirts- Cheaper, but i dont know much about them....

basically with side skirts they come with self tapping screws right? so i mesure (100 times to be sure of accuracy lol) and then they click into place?

are they reliable? will drilling increase the speed at which body rot will eventually occur?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributor

got pics of said damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
no b to b's when you're in the v and the a.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

i can try to get some up, its pretty minor, its just bends in the panel twards the rear tire to the middle of the door so it isnt flat like it should be.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

ive also heard that if i remove the interior trim over the rocker panel i can use the wooden handle of a hammer to lightly tap out the dent. has anyone tried this? was it sucsessful ect?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09SilverLS View Post
i can try to get some up, its pretty minor, its just bends in the panel twards the rear tire to the middle of the door so it isnt flat like it should be.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

ive also heard that if i remove the interior trim over the rocker panel i can use the wooden handle of a hammer to lightly tap out the dent. has anyone tried this? was it sucsessful ect?
this can be done but make sure you heat up the panel makes it easier to do without leaving little indents from taping on it but from the sounds of it they are pretty much ripping you off because i can get a entier stage 2 paint job on my car for less then what they are charging you

weapon R secret air intake (SRI), pacesetter exhaust manifold, pacesetter high flow cat, pacesetter catback exhaust. more to come

2 mtx jackhammer 12 comp series, 1200 watt mtx self cooling comp amp
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

how hot do you recomend i heat it, and with what? regular blow torch? and should i expect paint damage in this process?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09SilverLS View Post
how hot do you recomend i heat it, and with what? regular blow torch? and should i expect paint damage in this process?
the few times ive done this ive used a good hairdryer on get it nice and toasty, mostly because if you use a torch paint damage is going to happen

weapon R secret air intake (SRI), pacesetter exhaust manifold, pacesetter high flow cat, pacesetter catback exhaust. more to come

2 mtx jackhammer 12 comp series, 1200 watt mtx self cooling comp amp
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_throne View Post
from the sounds of it they are pretty much ripping you off because i can get a entier stage 2 paint job on my car for less then what they are charging you

I'm confused as to how that is a rip-off.

and also curios as to who will paint your car for $500?

I know when I paint my car and want it to be good I'm spending $500 just on materials.

Customers cars get about $350 in materials for an all over paint job.

Anytime you are going to paint just one panel you're talking about $250 or more. any sheet metal damage requires skilled body work. rocker panel damage as described I would call about 2.2 hours at $40-46/hour.
Add in blending and clearing the doors, then wetsanding and buffing both doors and rocker I would say $600 is a pretty fair price.

with that said where do you live silver LS? I'll do it for $400

2010 Cobalt LT 4 door
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Cobalt Master

i have damage under my door kinda where the op is talking about . i have no clue how it got there. iw as wondering if i was to get sideskirts down the line if that damage would effect anything. im not thread jacking im just asking the same kinda
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

im in MA, near boston
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 AM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Should post pics to better clarify the issue. It doesnt seem all that bad of damage from what you described on the second post in the thread.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode