Spoiler Removal Anger (Sorry This is Long!) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Spoiler Removal Anger (Sorry This is Long!)

Well, I'm very depressed.

Today I decided to remove the stock spoiler off of my LS. Everything was great and it came off easier than expected with the adhesive. I pulled it down the driveway to take a look and I LOVED it so much better. The profile looked better, there was less attention to the rear of the car, and it just looked alot cleaner. Pics!

These were before I tried to take the adhesive off.

However, when I went to go take the adhesive off, I cleaned the edges of dirt so that I would not scrape as much when i was using the credit card. I looked closely and noticed tons of chips and abrasions around the edge of the adhesive where the spoiler hit and chattered over the years. This was when I decided to abort the opperation, since I wasn't going to do any finishing work, just plug the holes.

(The hole plug situation was annoying as well, as the holes were different sizes, and there were two eyebrow type slots over one set of holes that I would have had to cover up with a bigger plug. I think they were foam adhesive overflow vent things.)

So once I got the spoiler back on, I decided to tighten the nuts a little tighter since the adhesive wasn't as sticky. I then found out that the back section of the spoiler mounts were sticking up slightly. We couldn't tighten them any more because the bolts ended up stripping and just spinning in their holes. So then I decided to caulk the inside of the spoiler where the bolts were because I could see daylight through those eyebrow slots. I was really freaking disappointed, because I liked how it looked so much. Maybe someday I'll find a new trunk lid at a junkyard or ebay, or just have the holes and scratches finished and repainted. It was supposed to be a reversible opperation. I was going to put new non sticky foam on the spoiler mounts so I could pull it on and off with protection still.

That's it, just thought I'd share, if anyone had this same frustrating experience, let me know! Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to share my frustration. :(

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I'm also wondering if I should continue this project and just ignore the scratches for a while and touch them up, or just leave it with the spoiler on. Thanks!

My Showoff Thread! | Automotive Designer| Pasadena, CA | Michigan Cobalts Group!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Wehrwolf
I'd probably stick with the spoiler I Think the low rise looks nice I wold rather have the high rise though

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Yeah I like the high rise alot. :3

My Showoff Thread! | Automotive Designer| Pasadena, CA | Michigan Cobalts Group!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Yeah the Highrise is awesome I got it for my LT just waiting for it to get painted
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BlackLS Street Send a message via Skype™ to BlackLS Street
I like the wingless look a lot but for that much trouble I dont know if its worth it or not...
I would just say go with the low rise for a while until you can find a wingless trunk for a decent price
But then again thats just my own opinion!
Good luck!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I love the low-rise spoiler, sucks to hear about the misfortune you dealt with today

Haha, and I know exactly where these pics were taken

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Forum God

Kind of the same problem I had, except I had the highrise and were it sat on the trunk it left indents. Being that I do auto body for a living I was just gonna fix it but found someone to swap me so I did that instead.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
I love the low-rise spoiler, sucks to hear about the misfortune you dealt with today

Haha, and I know exactly where these pics were taken
It's okay! And very cool! :D

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackARCA06 View Post
Kind of the same problem I had, except I had the highrise and were it sat on the trunk it left indents. Being that I do auto body for a living I was just gonna fix it but found someone to swap me so I did that instead.
Ahh. Yeah I really wish I had the experience, the means, and the time to just fix it myself lol...Unfortunately I'm a car designer and not a mechanic haha!

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS Street View Post
I like the wingless look a lot but for that much trouble I dont know if its worth it or not...
I would just say go with the low rise for a while until you can find a wingless trunk for a decent price
But then again thats just my own opinion!
Good luck!
That's what I'm thinking. The trunk will be a long while though lol...cuz all I have in my bank account is money that I'm waiting to pay a "no turn on red" ticket with haha!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

that a boy, looks good now lower it!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol View Post
that a boy, looks good now lower it!
Yes! Lowered FTW!

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
anger , removal , spoiler , trunk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode