Removing Auto Shift Boot - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to its just me
Removing Auto Shift Boot

i need to pull my center console apart so i can access the little panel with the P, R, N, D icons and was wondering how to remove the boot? while i was running errands today, i turned around in a parking lot to go back the other way and upon putting the car back into drive from reverse i heard a little snap by the shifter and looked down to see this...

(don't mind the mess, car needs to be vaccumed)

the little red indicator is stuck on reverse although the car soon after was clearly in park

East Coast Cobalts: NY | Northern NY Cobalt Concepts | Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Contributor

Just remove the center console around the shifter knob. The thing that changes the color is actually a strip of metal with a red part. The metal strip is getting stuck somehow.

Even though you are in park, since the metal strip is stuck on reverse, the R shows up red. Since you heard a snap, maybe the metal strip broke? But open up the console and check first.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to its just me
i'm hoping to check it out tomorrow after work. when i had my 07 sedan, i had to tear the whole console (including shifter) apart in order to change the bulb under the icons. i figured i'd probably have to do it again in order to get to the red strip but wasn't sure how to remove the boot. i've been searching for info but haven't found much so im just gonna wing it and hope for the best

East Coast Cobalts: NY | Northern NY Cobalt Concepts | Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode