Converting to Power Windows/locks - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Converting to Power Windows/locks

Ok so Ive got a 07 LS coupe and I called the local GM dealer today to see how much it would be to get all my manual crap (locks/windows) converted to power. (using the oem stuff) Guy said cannot convert the manual to the oem automatic. I can only get the electric windows/ locks using an aftermarket kit.

This came to news to me since Ive seen other members rides have the oem parts. (the door panel switches that are oem)

So did the people that do that, just get the oem door panel switches and use an aftermarket kit for the rest or what? Im very curious. I know that BboyTaktix did this as I saw his showoff thread.

Also on the cost. I reallly really want automatic windows, locks. dont care bout cruise control or power mirrors or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

bump
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Cobalt Master

i got an aftermarket power lock kit at my local audio shop. 350 out the door. welll worth the money!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

dont just want just the locks. want both locks and windows. more windows then locks. plus id rather go the oem route
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Cobalt Master

yeah you have to do the oem power window conversion theres a thread BboyTaktix made on cobalt universe.net
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

yea i found it. just looks very very confusing. just checked ebay and its gunna be hard collecting all the parts
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Cobalt Master

yea not worth it. you can roll your windows down with the crank in 2 secs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Forum God

Was so worth it for me :D one of the best $300 mods on my Balt. Very convenient in the summer. And the install was pretty fun, except for wiring which took a while but I had no good diagrams so it was all trial and error. Then I made wiring diagrams for everyone else :p

Also it would be possible to find all the parts for decent price either via junkyard or eBay if you take your time and shop around.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Expert

Garage
for the locks, I'd think any actuator should work, then its just wiring them to a button.

The windows will be more complicated but they should just need a motor I'd think. scrap yard here sold me a replacement motor for $25 (actuators are about that as well) so in theory you could do the whole thing for probably $100 - $150 if you found the right pieces for a good price. I haven't done this however so not 100%
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoutu View Post
for the locks, I'd think any actuator should work, then its just wiring them to a button.

The windows will be more complicated but they should just need a motor I'd think. scrap yard here sold me a replacement motor for $25 (actuators are about that as well) so in theory you could do the whole thing for probably $100 - $150 if you found the right pieces for a good price. I haven't done this however so not 100%
you need the motor, actuators, and switches that will work the windows. The switches will need to be OEM if you're going with the OEM motor and actuator unless you're a circuit board genius and can design your own switches to run the motor like OEM. And some wires etc.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode