Tickets for Taillights - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Tickets for Taillights

I just got my first warning for blacked out taillights since I did it six months ago. The officer said you cannot put anything on the lights that reduce the OEM light output. Question, is there any way to install LED's or another type of light that will bring the light output back to OEM so the cops will leave me alone?

I know I can get the smoked LED lights for about $80 but I was hoping to do this for cheap and keep the blacked out look when the lights are off. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran

Garage
I just got pulled over saturday and got a warning about this too.. went to LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS and bought some LED bulbs for like $8 a piece

Having a fast honda is like coming out of the closet. you surprise everyone at first, but in the end your still gay.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Perfect, thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for. I asked him about getting LED's to get at least to OEM and he said that should be ok. I'm ordering some!

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Let me know which ones you got and how they worked out.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
IMO police only use this excuse to check you out a bit closer. You got to have absolutely nothing to do to stop a car because his tail lights are a bit tinted. His laptop computer that he has in the car must have failed and couldn't play solitaire.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Maybe he thought walking to your car and back would burn off the calories he just intaked from that custard jelly dipped candy sprinkled donut he just ate.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Forum God

lol you think that's bad, my uncle's brother drives an Audi R8 during the winter, and he got pulled over last week for "snow tire check" and the cop goes "those aren't snow tires" and my uncle's brother goes "uuh...yeah they are" lol....poor excuse to check out the ride hahaha

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Wow the last time i got pulled over i was going 62 in a 50, with outdated insurance, was late for school. Still not a good idea....But anyway he said nice car and gave me a warning. All i could think of was i have nicer t!ts than i thought.
Glad i dont have to deal with random poor excuses to check my car.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Expert

Garage
Pics or it didnt happen.....just sayin.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
On the ticket he wrote Chevy PC, had no idea what I was driving! His main excuse is that with the lights tinted you cant see someone braking as easily and will get rear ended more easily. I told him that I sit through rush hour twice a day and have never had a problem, but will certainly look into fixing them ($170 ticket apparently).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Newcomer

When i had to take my actuall driving test last year the state cop that i took it with told me i needed to take off the paint i just agreed and went on but never did i failed once the second time i went back he didnt say anything guess it all really depends on the officer but you should not have gotten a ticket i would try to dispute that in court as long as the lights can be seen well in daylight when hitting the brake i believe its hundred feet or so there should be no problem.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran

Garage
Unfortunately some states have laws against anything on the tail lights if it didn't come like that from factory u could try to dispute it in court with an attorney. I live in Texas and u can have hids loud exhaust and tinted tail lights we even have monster like trucks rolling around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode