Interior Door Panel Painting - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation Interior Door Panel Painting

alright guys I've seen on here how some have either painted or bought new door panels that match the paint on the exterior of their cars. i really want some victory red door panels but i have no clue how to even start going about retrieving some.. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
1. obtain colour match paint (auto zone, etc)
2. remove and clean panels
3. paint
4.????
5. profit

Make it pretty, and she'll think it's fast.
Jake1295/2008 LT (Balto)/Fayetteville, AR
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Initiate

I have painted door panels on other cars and I have never been happy. I have scuffed, cleaned, primed, tried both duplicolor and sem and never had durable results. Anything in a can will not hold up! If you touch it sunlight and hand oils will break it down. It will crack, forget about having pets in the car. I would recommend just changing the inserts the color you want. If you insist on painting either go to a body shop or use a plastic primer then 2 component exterior finish like single stage urethane with a flex additive in it. Also if your interior was Coated from the dealership that will be extra difficult to remove.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matte454 View Post
I have painted door panels on other cars and I have never been happy. I have scuffed, cleaned, primed, tried both duplicolor and sem and never had durable results. Anything in a can will not hold up! If you touch it sunlight and hand oils will break it down. It will crack, forget about having pets in the car. I would recommend just changing the inserts the color you want. If you insist on painting either go to a body shop or use a plastic primer then 2 component exterior finish like single stage urethane with a flex additive in it. Also if your interior was Coated from the dealership that will be extra difficult to remove.
so there are just inserts i can replace? if so where can i find them?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
you'll have to get creative on reinstalling the inserts. they aren't designed to be swapped but you could recover them or something

Make it pretty, and she'll think it's fast.
Jake1295/2008 LT (Balto)/Fayetteville, AR
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1295 View Post
you'll have to get creative on reinstalling the inserts. they aren't designed to be swapped but you could recover them or something
alright, thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Newcomer

I have done all of my interior with spray paint i bought at wal mart for 1.89 and it looks awesome my whole car is red and black inside and out i would post pics upp but i dont have a photo bucket and all that jazz. But yeah i was also thinking of painting my doors black but ima get some paint from auto zone for plastic bonding. The cheap kind works well i used to havethe party car it will get scuffs and scrapes but good thing is you can always clean and retouch.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim789 View Post
I have done all of my interior with spray paint i bought at wal mart for 1.89 and it looks awesome my whole car is red and black inside and out i would post pics upp but i dont have a photo bucket and all that jazz. But yeah i was also thinking of painting my doors black but ima get some paint from auto zone for plastic bonding. The cheap kind works well i used to havethe party car it will get scuffs and scrapes but good thing is you can always clean and retouch.
sent you a pm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Expert

I've talked about this in many threads in this fourm and others. I painted all my grey plastics in the car black. They will scratch pretty much no matter how you do it.

I paint naval aircraft and I have been to school for paint and final finish. I know how to clean, prep, and paint metals, plactics, and composites. On the door panels I've tried multiple type of paint and have achieved the same result every time. It looks great for a month or two and then they start to look like $#!7. The paint will scratch and scuff. I've used adhesion promoters, plastic primers, self etching paints, and clear coats. All will no sucess in creating a permanent finish. The last type of paint I'm going to be trying is high-solids self-etching two-part polyurethane paint. That paint is the same thing we paint most naval aircraft with.

As for the inserts on the doors, there is a how-to on one of the coablt forums that will pretty much explain to you how to get the inset off of the door panel so you can recover it with whatever color/material you please. It also tells you how you can reattach them to the door panel. I'll see if i can track it down and post a link to it.

If you find my "showoff thread" you can see how it turns out when you first paint it.

---------- Post added 02-29-2012 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-28-2012 at 11:05 PM ----------

here is the thread to how to recover the door panel inserts
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...l-inserts.html[COLOR="Silver"]

here are few pics from when I painted some of my stuff

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 02-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Newcomer

Garage
hey blu3_v1p3r looking good like the paint job. did you just paint the panel's black? or did you mix? just curious because that looks really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode