Paint Chip - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Cool Paint Chip

I have a paint chip on my car. It was like that when I first got it (which was August of 2010). I'm now starting to get into car detailing, and I really love my car,and I want to get this fixed. I hate it,and I'd rather have a deep scratch than this. There's also a minor dent where the paint chip is, so I'm assuming something must've hit it with the previous owner. I could easily fix the little dent myself-I'm sure.

I called a body shop to get some information on this [paint chip] and they said that it would probably cost $300+ because I would have to get the whole panel repainted, not just that particular spot. I purchased some touch-up paint prior to learning all of this,and I sanded it down,touched it up, and everything else,and I'm still not satisfied with it.Actually, I liked it better before I used the touch up paint. I'm willing to pay the money when I get it, but I'm not sure if I should wait until the car is fully paid off and I officially own it or should I still do it even though the car is still being financed. Now, I did go to AutoZone and spoke to a guy,and he practically told me the same thing, but I don't want to do it myself considering I am not a professional and I have never gone to school to learn about any of this, plus, I don't have the money nor confidence to do this on my own...

My cobalt is like a rare granite metallic blue color, so does anyone here have an idea of how much that would cost to repair? Would it just be better to save up and have the entire car repainted another color? (solid black, for example, because I've read that black cars are easier for touch ups and detailing than lighter colored cars)

Some good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by TylerTheLoner; 02-12-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Forum Regular

Mine is suffering from the same thing. Hood has chips from rocks from being behind plow trucks last winter. I might just get the whole hood repainted when I replace my dented trunk and get the new one repainted.

In your case I'd find out how much would be to get the whole car repainted. Check different body/paint shops if your have that option for different prices for a whole paint job vs spot repair. Dealers will always charge you an arm and leg so stay away from that, unless you can get a deal.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt1986 View Post
Mine is suffering from the same thing. Hood has chips from rocks from being behind plow trucks last winter. I might just get the whole hood repainted when I replace my dented trunk and get the new one repainted.

In your case I'd find out how much would be to get the whole car repainted. Check different body/paint shops if your have that option for different prices for a whole paint job vs spot repair. Dealers will always charge you an arm and leg so stay away from that, unless you can get a deal.
Thank you. Who knew paint chips could be such a bitch? I thought I could just take care of it like a scratch, but nooo. Anyway, yes, I was thinking of repainting the entire car rather than spot repair. In a way, I think it'd be a much better option even though it's more $. Thanks again for the response!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Masterz
When you'll be done with this, put some transparent vinyl, about 4-5 inches high on your hood where the rocks hit. You'll never have a chip after doing this and it's is not noticeable unless you look closely at your hood. Some car shop does it.

My car showoff
Want nice deal on Aftermarket parts? Pm me for price from my sponsor!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz View Post
When you'll be done with this, put some transparent vinyl, about 4-5 inches high on your hood where the rocks hit. You'll never have a chip after doing this and it's is not noticeable unless you look closely at your hood. Some car shop does it.
I'll look into that. Thanks. Out of curiosity, if I got a paint chip on my black paint job, would I still have to repaint the whole panel or could it be taken care of with just some touch up/sanding? I know it would be cheaper repairing it, but I just wonder if it'd be easier...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerTheLoner View Post
I have a paint chip on my car. It was like that when I first got it (which was August of 2010). I'm now starting to get into car detailing, and I really love my car,and I want to get this fixed. I hate it,and I'd rather have a deep scratch than this. There's also a minor dent where the paint chip is, so I'm assuming something must've hit it with the previous owner. I could easily fix the little dent myself-I'm sure.

I called a body shop to get some information on this [paint chip] and they said that it would probably cost $300+ because I would have to get the whole panel repainted, not just that particular spot. I purchased some touch-up paint prior to learning all of this,and I sanded it down,touched it up, and everything else,and I'm still not satisfied with it.Actually, I liked it better before I used the touch up paint. I'm willing to pay the money when I get it, but I'm not sure if I should wait until the car is fully paid off and I officially own it or should I still do it even though the car is still being financed. Now, I did go to AutoZone and spoke to a guy,and he practically told me the same thing, but I don't want to do it myself considering I am not a professional and I have never gone to school to learn about any of this, plus, I don't have the money nor confidence to do this on my own...

My cobalt is like a rare granite metallic blue color, so does anyone here have an idea of how much that would cost to repair? Would it just be better to save up and have the entire car repainted another color? (solid black, for example, because I've read that black cars are easier for touch ups and detailing than lighter colored cars)

Some good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The reason you have to paint the whole panel is because your paint job has a metallic flake to it. It has a sparkle to it. If they only painted that one spot, it would be noticable. If your car was just a gloss black. No metallic black or anything fancy, you could probably get away with only painting the dent. But to repaint your entire car a whole different color would cost several thousand dollars. In my opinion, I dont think it would be worth it. You are going from a very nice unique color, to a plain ordinary everyday color. Most people do the complete opposite. Most people want a rare color.

09 Chev Cobalt
Injen CAI. Carbon Fiber Stripes/Interior Trim. Shorty Antenna.
Option Racing Catback. Smoke LED Tail Lights. Pwr Locks/Keyless Entry. Rostra Cruise

85 Chev Camaro IROC-Z28
K&N Air Filter. Flowmaster Exhaust. Chrome IROC Rims. Pioneer Deck. Sony Xplod Sub/Amp.
BFG G-Force SuperSport Tires. Viper Alarm/Keyless. Grant Steering Wheel

..Carbon Cobalt Showoff..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_XFE View Post
The reason you have to paint the whole panel is because your paint job has a metallic flake to it. It has a sparkle to it. If they only painted that one spot, it would be noticable. If your car was just a gloss black. No metallic black or anything fancy, you could probably get away with only painting the dent. But to repaint your entire car a whole different color would cost several thousand dollars. In my opinion, I dont think it would be worth it. You are going from a very nice unique color, to a plain ordinary everyday color. Most people do the complete opposite. Most people want a rare color.
I definitely see your point,and I do like the color, but I like black cars so much better, especially with the tint that I have. I think it would give a very dark and mysterious look. Like a Chevy bat mobile or something. I don't think it would cost several thousand bucks... I read that the average price (for a decent paint job) is around 4 or 5k. If I were to paint my car black, then it would probably cost less since it isn't a unique color.
I'm still not certain if I want to repaint it,because I thought about just buying a project car and leaving this one alone. I'm not sure yet, but I think I know...

Last edited by TylerTheLoner; 02-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
chips , granite , metallic , paint , repair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode