HID and Headlight Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

HID and Headlight Question

I want to buy 35watt 5000k hids and am wondering if its safe to put hids and get good light output on the stock housing till i get projectors

Everyone has different style, therefore everyone has different taste, don't like my car, don't look simple as that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Read through this thread it should help you decide.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/int...on-thread.html

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

okay it answers the question that they are fine, but another question are the 9007 hid bulbs interchangeable with 4th gen projectors?

Everyone has different style, therefore everyone has different taste, don't like my car, don't look simple as that

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaCobaltLT View Post
okay it answers the question that they are fine, but another question are the 9007 hid bulbs interchangeable with 4th gen projectors?
the bulbs are not however the ballast are

BUYHIDS.COM - HID Kits - Retros - LEDs
07 SS - G85 - K&N - BuyHIDS.com - R1 Concepts
Pioneer - Rockford Fosgate - SSC -ZZP - Hankook
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Contributor

Stick with your halogens for now. Don't buy aftermarket projector headlights either. They, simply, don't perform very well and aren't mean for HIDs. If you want something that's better than your stock headlights and still looks good, go with this.

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Please, just do it right the first time!! Some HID kits, like DDM tuning don't give you a proper high beam and just plain blind the everliving piss out of oncoming traffic. The light isn't focused at all.

Also, the 9007 bulbs will not fit in the 4th Gen Depo projectors. I believe they take the H7 bulbs. The kit I just linked you takes an H1 HID bulb. They're bi-xenon, which means a shield flips down to let more light out above the cutoff to give you your high beam.

I'm just trying to save you some trouble here. If you like the look of the 4th Gen Depo projectors, you might be able to retrofit the Mini H1s into them. Then you can have ultra-high beams since you'll have the bi-xenon and the halogens. This is something I wouldn't mind trying someday.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
^^The Retrofit Source ftw.... I have Morimoto, MH1 retrofit which I did myself... it's wicked. Painted everything black, did it all myself and IMO it looks better then the aftermarket projectors.... But, I can't say anything negative about BuyHIDs because I've never owned anything from them or dealt with them, so perhaps somebody else can comment on their quality

2010 Cobalt LS XFE
GMPP Intake - H&R Sport Springs - Morimoto MH1 Retrofitted Headlights - Alpine IDA x305 Head Unit - MPx Shorty Antenna
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

Garage
I ran a 5000K Single beam HID kit in my stock housings for 6+ months before i got my retros with no problem

BUYHIDS.COM - HID Kits - Retros - LEDs
07 SS - G85 - K&N - BuyHIDS.com - R1 Concepts
Pioneer - Rockford Fosgate - SSC -ZZP - Hankook
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
sorry, I kind of didn't address the OP's original question... yes you should be fine putting HIDs in your stock housings, a lot of people do it. I had 4300K D2S bulbs in my stock housings for a year with VVME ballasts, never had a problem

2010 Cobalt LS XFE
GMPP Intake - H&R Sport Springs - Morimoto MH1 Retrofitted Headlights - Alpine IDA x305 Head Unit - MPx Shorty Antenna
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

i read up on retrofit cuz i was thinking of doing those in the first place! but they are not plug and play and I don't wanna have to rotary cut my headlight to fit the retros! they look really nice, i wonder if theres professionals that will do it for me, because i simply do not have time to do it and don't want to have to end up buying a new headlight

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

oh and another thing where should i buy my hids online? my friend referred me to ddm tuning and considering u said they were no good, someone please give me a good site

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
BuyHIDs retro fitted the ones I got and they work great. I never started with the stock housing though. I bought the gen3 projectors with 6000k bulbs. I have the 8000k as back up but dont like the blue color. they are angled so ppl dont flash me unless its raining or foggy (all the light refracts so not my fault).

Last edited by Blackbalts; 03-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode