The Best Way to Use the OEM Fog Switch? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
The Best Way to Use the OEM Fog Switch?

So my car never came without the fog lights, but after buying a ss interior trim, the fog button next to the dimmer toggle is always illuminated when my auto lights turn on. I haven't bought the fogs yet, but I am needing to know the best way in using that switch. Do I need to splice it behind my oem fog insert that my car mysterisly came with, without the fogs. Trace the wires back to the fuse box and run it there? Just want peoples opinions, I already gave up on finding an headlight harness that came with fogs, so just wanted to see what other people did for fogs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Expert

You have the perfect opportunity to add some fogs

You can use that stock switch without adding harnesses with head lights, anyway you want, custom fog lights with a stock switch would be awesome.

Old Car: Chevy Cobalt 2006 LS Sedan base (Automatic)

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Well I'm sure I'm not the only cobalt LT or LS owner would curiously ripped the far left trim to find out there was two switch inserts instead of one. I'm just saying how could I use that button? I tried to just buy a different headlight harness with the fogs already attached, but it did not work long story short.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Expert

Which front bumper do you have, got pictures?

We can use that stock switch for anything, completely different to what its intended for, but I think some custom LEDs on your front bumper, controlled by a stock switch would be cool.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
[QUOTE=johnccc;558896]Which front bumper do you have, got pictures?

I have the ss/sc bumper. So I want to put the fog lights in the little holes, its meant to go in, unless there's other sweet out of the box ideas. I am completely open, I thought about putting halo rings for the fogs.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Expert

Ok, you have some choices to make then.

You can more easily wire your own fog lights using that switch, from and independent power supply, or you can see if your BCM already has the fog light logic and wire it the stock way.

Are your familiar with the BCM or would you rather just make your own simple circuit?

If you have the holes for the fogs, buy them and add them in, in my case I don't, I will be adding some LED strips in the lower groves as I do not have those holes. (this is why I ask about the bumper)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
"Are your familiar with the BCM or would you rather just make your own simple circuit?"

I dont have a clue what BCM is but I would rather just try to make it so I could use the stock switch. With me spending around $200 already with no progress yet, I wont give up on getting fogs in my car!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Expert

Okay, 1st advice is to ask Coby7 to get you a pin out for your BCM for the fog light, you can check and see if your BCM has the outputs for it. (you should give him your VIN # for an accurate pin out)

If you don't have them its not difficult to have them added on a separate circuit using the stock switch, it will not be actual stock, but using the stock switch nobody will no any better, except you.

You can easily get a stock feel and look no matter which way you do it since you have the stock switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode