Exterior LED Lighting- Worth It? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Exterior LED Lighting- Worth It?

I have two packages of red 3157 LEDs and a package of amber 194As. Is it really worth the time to replace the stock bulbs with them (brighter, look better ect...)? If so, I'll pick up some more and replace all (or most) of the exterior bulbs. But if it's hardly noticeable, not much brighter, then I'll leave them alone. I've seen vehicles with LEDs from the factory and those do look good!

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Expert

Garage
when I did mine, the brake lights went dimmer, side markers were brighter, but projected towards the rear, and license plate light simply didnt produce enough light.

All those lights are back to stock now.

In the front, I swapped out the DRL/Turn signal bulbs for an LED projector type of bulb and theyre incredible. The bulb looks really sleek and would look perfect paired with a retro fit, but still looks really cool with stock lights. These are now the only after market bulbs I'm using (besides fogs and main headlights).

Some brake light bulbs can potentially look good and brighter, but you'll want white lights, not red. The cheap-o ones I had just didnt cut it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The trick with LED lighting is you get what you pay for, go cheap get poor lighting. Also since LEDs have a more directional type of light you have to select proper bulb. What I mean is if you need directionnal light buy such if you need omnidirectionnal choose approprietly. For any kind of brightness You need at least some smd5050 LEDs.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Staff Alumni

For my tails, I picked up the 3157 45-LED towers from superbrightleds. They are configured for 360 degrees and much brighter than stock, IMO. They are $25 a piece, however. I also had to buy a couple of the 6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors to go with them.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoutu View Post
you'll want white lights, not red..
White LEDs for back-up, Red for brake, because your red tail lens is going to absorb all light colors except red, you would be wasting all the energy given out in the yellow and blue spectrum. If your LEDs are high intensity red LEDs then you will lose less luminance going through the red tail lens.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
White LEDs for back-up, Red for brake, because your red tail lens is going to absorb all light colors except red, you would be wasting all the energy given out in the yellow and blue spectrum. If your LEDs are high intensity red LEDs then you will lose less luminance going through the red tail lens.
Just my opinion...
I did a side by side with mine (one red and one white) and the white ones gave off far more light. the red seems to get absorbed by the lens i found

to be completely honest, I'd invest in a new set of LED tail lights for $100 before I dropped $50 on bulbs alone ($100 if you do reverse lights also) to brighten the stockers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Hum... seems like LED lighting for the rest of the car isn't as simple as the headlights. What I have is the JamStrait lights that come from AutoZone. I wonder if they should go back. My Silverstars might be replaced with HIDs too.

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Good pic here to show what the plate light looks like. Noticeable brighter - Car LED Bulbs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode