Halo Headlight - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Smile Halo Headlight

Well im looking to buy halo headlights soon and was wondering alil about them. Well i bought headlight bulbs bright white forgot the sen. But was wondering if i could use then in the lens or do i have to buy h.i.d bulbs like the blue or yellow or bright white n what kind do u think would be better for my car the clear housing or black housing or crome?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Contributor

Stay away from the crappy "Halo Projector" eBay headlights and do a retrofit on the headlights you have now. You can even add your own halos if you'd like. You can get everything you need from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications. The prices over there are good and they have excellent customer service. The Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors they sell will outperform those crappy eBay lights and it's one of their low-end projectors.

Also, any bulbs you buy for your headlights now won't work in the aftermarket projector headlights. They take different bulbs. Also, when it comes to HID bulbs, there are colors to choose from in Kelvin. 4,300k is OEM color and is going to be the brightest. 5,000k will give you a white light with some blue. 6,000k will give you an ice blue color. When you creep around 8,000k, then you start to get too blue and your friends will laugh at you and you'll wish you've never brought this subject up in the first place. Just remember, for headlights, BLUE IS BAD!!!!! What "RICERS" are trying to imitate is what a lot of projectors give off and it's called "color flicker." That's when the light bends around the cutoff shield inside the projector. It gives off a cool rainbow effect. Also, HIDs are bluish when you first start them up and they eventually start to colorshift towards blue when they age. So yeah, stick with 4,300 OEM color.

Maybe what I've said is a little too much to sink in all at once, but think it over. I'm just under the impression that you haven't had much experience with headlights or retrofitting. We all gotta start somewhere.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I havent thought about any of that or heard of retro fitting.. um i just want the 5,000 for pure white id rather see instead of look cool for headlights even tho i like the halo projecters thats why i bought the headlight bulbs i have are very bright white i just would like some thing to go with the car to class it up along the way with black blue n silver but like u said about the ebay yea i seen a couple fixures on there for 150 200 stuff like that i never really made a head bulb i guess u could say

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

At the same time i also dont wanna mess up the housings i got now seeing that i never did a "retro fit" or ever custum made my lights

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

I looked up what u were talking about with the retro fit thing n i see basically u take out the housing n take the silver reflector n put the projector there n bolt or screw it to the fitting n put the projector shell around the light to be as a reflection? I seen some nice ones it i were to do that.. the kits are alil more then i though itd be.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Contributor

Retrofits definitely look the best and work the best but are pricey and time consuming. Search the for sale sections of forums im sure youll find something. Imo I would do retros if not now save up and do it down the road. I picked up some gen1s to use while I build my retros.

2007 SS/SC Lazer Blue Metallic. 2.90" pulley, 42# Injectors, K&N Typhoon Intake, Badmab Header, ZZP 3"dp, HPTuned, and Tsudo Muffler.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Forum Regular

I personally have these "crappy" eBay lights that were mentioned before, and I absolutely love them. I'd take my current headlights over any of the retrofits that I've seen. But, like any mod, it all comes down to personal preference. While retrofits do look pretty damn good, there's room for error since you have to do actual modifications. Buying the housings on-line, all you have to do is switch them out. Wiring up HID's aren't very difficult either. BuyHIDs.com has everything you'll need for the conversion, and they're reasonable.

"Remember not to litter,
spay or neuter your critter."
Strangest road sign ever.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

that's the thing i don't have time to build my headlights cause i drive my car to work every night, should i just buy the housing and build from there? at the same time i don't wanna spend more then if i were to buy the complete thing and hid lights.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bbrewbaker
When i had the Halos i had them in about 6 months. Even with 5K HID's The stock lights still put out better light.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

so is it worth it to buy the halos? or should i keep my lights i have now? cause i bought headlight bulbs that are bright white around the time i bought the car..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Contributor

If you dont want to spend too much money. Retros will most likely be the most expensive and time consuming. Look for projector headlights that have CCFL Halos in them. Check around ZZP they have a fairly cheap set or places like Anysautosort NOPI etc.

2007 SS/SC Lazer Blue Metallic. 2.90" pulley, 42# Injectors, K&N Typhoon Intake, Badmab Header, ZZP 3"dp, HPTuned, and Tsudo Muffler.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ok thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode