Best Fog Lamps for 20007 G5 SE? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Best Fog Lamps for 20007 G5 SE?

I got the bumper inserts for the fogs and wondering if anyone knows of what fog lamps would work best. I also want these wired so that they are hot only during key "on". If anyone has a recommendation that would be awesome.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Forum God

I bought a Morimoto 50w 6K HID kit for my fogs from theretrofitsource.com, and they came with wiring harness with a relay on it. I wired the relay's power directly to the positive terminal under the hood, and the relay on switch I ran through the firewall to an on/off switch, which connected to a fuse in my fuse box under my dash. It gives power to the HID's only when I turn the car on or when it is all the way in accessory, but I can turn them off via the switch. Best way to do it IMO.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
I bought a Morimoto 50w 6K HID kit for my fogs from theretrofitsource.com, and they came with wiring harness with a relay on it. I wired the relay's power directly to the positive terminal under the hood, and the relay on switch I ran through the firewall to an on/off switch, which connected to a fuse in my fuse box under my dash. It gives power to the HID's only when I turn the car on or when it is all the way in accessory, but I can turn them off via the switch. Best way to do it IMO.
Does this keep the ballast charged up too? I'm guessing no, or your battery would be dead all the time, but just want to be certain.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelightning25 View Post
I got the bumper inserts for the fogs and wondering if anyone knows of what fog lamps would work best. I also want these wired so that they are hot only during key "on". If anyone has a recommendation that would be awesome.

Thanks!!!
You can use the switch idea mentioned above, or just hook your power line of the fog up to the ignition or ACC wire rather than the battery. Then whenever the car is on, the fogs are on.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoutu View Post
Does this keep the ballast charged up too? I'm guessing no, or your battery would be dead all the time, but just want to be certain.
no, ballasts don't charge up, if the ballasts have power then the HID's are on. Relays are basically switches, so the circuit is closed when the car is off, even though the relay is connected directly to the positive battery terminal. It draws no power whatsoever when the car is off.

BboyTaktix
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
no, ballasts don't charge up, if the ballasts have power then the HID's are on.
unless the relay were on the bulb side of the ballast, butI don't see the point to that as it would fry the ballast and drain the battery. I bet its been done tho to avoid the charge up look of the bulbs. I've already considered making my own relay to do this for my fogs so they dont have to charge up every time i turn on the high beams

and to the OP, for fogs, its not as important which kit you get. You can spend the big bucks for a top quality one, or $30 for an ebay kit, theyre just fog lights so if something happens its not a huge deal until its fixed. Just get something with a warranty for at least a year. I personally use a kit from ebay for $40, and its worked awesome. Just ordered headlights from the same seller (no China for me though).
If youre interested:
http://stores.ebay.ca/JAEDARAUTOMOTIVE

I watched my head light kit for about a month and the price dropped from $100 down to $70 (with free shipping) for a week long sale.

Last edited by acoutu; 05-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Newcomer

car of the future...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senecan View Post
car of the future...
18000 years from now and pontiac is still around
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Forum God

Quote:
unless the relay were on the bulb side of the ballast, butI don't see the point to that as it would fry the ballast and drain the battery. I bet its been done tho to avoid the charge up look of the bulbs. I've already considered making my own relay to do this for my fogs so they dont have to charge up every time i turn on the high beams
to put them on that side of the ballast, you'd have to cut the wires connecting the bulb to the ballast, voiding any warranty you would have on the HID kit. And yeah you'd fry the ballasts too. Also, it's the xenon gas in the bulbs that take a few seconds to warm up, so even if the ballasts were already "charged", you'd still have a warm-up period. However, if you buy the good quality brand kits, such as my Morimoto 5five kits I have in my retros and fogs, they are quickfire, which makes them warm up significantly faster than most kits, almost eliminating "warm-up" time.

BboyTaktix
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
to put them on that side of the ballast, you'd have to cut the wires connecting the bulb to the ballast, voiding any warranty you would have on the HID kit. And yeah you'd fry the ballasts too. Also, it's the xenon gas in the bulbs that take a few seconds to warm up, so even if the ballasts were already "charged", you'd still have a warm-up period. However, if you buy the good quality brand kits, such as my Morimoto 5five kits I have in my retros and fogs, they are quickfire, which makes them warm up significantly faster than most kits, almost eliminating "warm-up" time.
Yeah good point, I didnt even think about the gas actually. Come to think of it, the voltage output on the ballast would probably cook the relay also.
I gotta start buying better brand stuff being such a perfectionist I guess haha.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Yeah good point, I didnt even think about the gas actually. Come to think of it, the voltage output on the ballast would probably cook the relay also.
I gotta start buying better brand stuff being such a perfectionist I guess haha.
TheRetrofitSourcesells pretty awesome HID kits. Granted they are a bit more pricey, but their customer service is excellent. I had a problem with one HID ballast, they shipped a replacement out to me the same day I emailed them, no questions. All I had to do was cut the wire off the broken one and send them a picture. They are great.

BboyTaktix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode