Tinted My Front Windows :) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Tinted My Front Windows :)

I ordered some precut window tint film on ebay and gave it a shot. The first one (drivers side) i screwed up on big time. The piece ripped when removing the excess tint around the window outline. Thought I could get away without it being noticable when it was installed, and it just looked like a hair under it (only an inch long in the corner...not bad...). Problem came when squeegeeing out the water under it. It caught the one side and ripped open
It couldnt be saved so I ripped the piece off.

I did the passenger side today and it didnt turn out bad at all. The piece tore in the exact same spot (bad cutting on the sellers part), but I managed to save the install. I'll be replacing this piece when I order a new set of film to do the drivers side.

Total cost would have been $20 for the film + application solution + shipping, but it will be $35 since I have to reorder the film. All in all, not a very difficult mod to do if you have patience. I'd rank it about 7 out of 10 in difficulty only because it require lots of patience. Plus I saved about $80 from getting it done in a shop locally.

I'll get some pics tomorrow that shows the tinted window vs the untinted window.

Last edited by acoutu; 07-15-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Staff Alumni

I helped a buddy do his s10. It was pretty difficult to make sure everything was right before it got tacky but that's why we used a lot of soapy water spray!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Garage
shit only thing i tinted was my taillights (taillights were tint overlays) and i even messed that up a little hard to notice tho i leave it to the professionals good job tho man cause i wouldnt of even attempted it pics or it didnt happen

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
I think 70% is the legal max here...these are 35% so we'll see how it goes. I see guys around town with 5% all around so I doubt anything will be said, but if I'm told to take it off, at least its a cheap project.
*Note* My rear windows are at 5% for comparison

Drivers side is untinted, passenger @ 35%

No tint

35%

The Rip
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Contributor

looks nice for doing it yourself.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
If it wasnt for that rip and about 6 tiny tiny pieces of dust behind it, it would be perfect...oh, well. the new ones are on their way already
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Contributor

Atleast you got the balls to do it yourself lol. I would never attempt to tint my windows haha
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Newcomer

Same here. It's pretty tedious. I'd rather shell out 150.00 and have the whole car done and not have to worry about it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
that looks really good, and ya know ive seen plenty of these cobalt pre cut tint kits for cheap and now i think i will give it a shot. i make zagg invisible shields my bitch so this will be a large scale version of that lol

thanks for making this thread and giving me inspiration man
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Forum Regular

i love the de-badgeing and re-badgeing of the bowtie and the "cobalt" letters GOOD idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode