Diode Dynamics Lighting - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Lightbulb Diode Dynamics Lighting

Has anyone used this site before? I purchased the Chevy Cobalt LED Kit which includes a dome light, trunk light, and license plate light that come in many colors. They have HID headlights but I'm not sure what I need to make sure they work... Do I want my "bulb size" to be Halogen Hi or BiXenon, and what is the difference? And, do I need the HID relay? The link is here but you may have to enter car information (i.e. Chevrolet > Cobalt > 2010). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhinehart View Post
Has anyone used this site before? I purchased the Chevy Cobalt LED Kit which includes a dome light, trunk light, and license plate light that come in many colors. They have HID headlights but I'm not sure what I need to make sure they work... Do I want my "bulb size" to be Halogen Hi or BiXenon, and what is the difference? And, do I need the HID relay? The link is here but you may have to enter car information (i.e. Chevrolet > Cobalt > 2010). Thanks!
I've never used that site. I got mine elsewhere. If you have stock headlights make sure you get a set for 9007 bulbs/connector. It also means you'll want the 9007 bulbs to go in it. I'd also recommend using the BiXenon in stock headlights so you retain hi-beams. You'll be happier with the output. It is not required to get the relay but it is also HIGHLY recommended as well. If you have aftermarket headlights, well...match the lights you currently have. I have Gen3 halo/projectors and use H1 bulbs. Factory fog lights are H11 bulbs, so for those you'll need an H11 variety.

To answer your question about the difference in bulb types, here is what their site says about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.diodedynamics.com/service/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/42/5/what-are-halogen-hi-and-bixenon-hids
What are Halogen Hi and BiXenon HIDs?
Posted by Paul Diode Dynamics on 27 February 2012 12:18 PM

Some vehicles use dual-filment bulb in one headlight housing. This allows for the high beam and low beam to be in one socket. Some dual-filament bulb sizes are 9003, 9004, 9007, 9008, H4, and H13.

To convert these to HID, we have two options. First, we have halogen Hi bulbs. These use an HID low beam, like a normal HID Conversion, but also hae a small halogen bulb to create the high beam. These are quite efficient, and are just $5 more than a regular single-beam HID kit.

We also have BiXenon HID Kits. These come with a harness, which is needed to control the bulb function. Just like on many vehicls with OEM HIDs, the HID bulb is moved by the harness in order to create high beam HIDs when needed, and then moves back into position to angel the light back down for low beam HIDs. The result is HID high beam and HID low beam, all in one bulb. Due to the electronics needed, this is $40 more than a regular single-beam HID kit.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us!
I hope that answered your questions. If not, ask for clarification or additional info and someone will help! Good luck!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I do have stock headlights as of now...so I should get the BiXenon and the relay harness? What does the relay harness do?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The relay I believe is to avoid applying low voltage to the ballast in DRL mode, but I find just shorting the purple DRL resistor wire would work just as well.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
The relay I believe is to avoid applying low voltage to the ballast in DRL mode, but I find just shorting the purple DRL resistor wire would work just as well.
It seems like getting the harness is just a little safer, and for $10 probably not a bad addition. Would the kit then just be new bulbs that would have to be put it and connected? ...I don't really know anything about wiring a car, but I can't imagine this would be hard?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
If you want to make it easy just go with buyhid.com and get a set that has been retrofitted for HID's. Plus, HID's in stock housing equals pissed off people in front of you. You want to get new housing with projectors or install projectors in the stock housing.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Forum God

Garage
They are a vendor over on Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix and have been for some time.

I've heard nothing but good things come from them.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular

A buddy of mine recently installed LEDs in his Cobalt (plate and trunk). Now I'm totally sold on the idea. Besides looking good, the trunk light provides more light than the stock bulb that was there. I've been looking at what different vendors have to offer this week. Of course they all say that they have the best, brightest ect... I don't think all LEDs are created equal so... is there anything special to look for when purchasing these bulbs. Also, after seeing the color of the plate bulb, some 6000k hids would be a nice match!

Oh and one other thing, the site that the OP lists above, they list LED fog light bulbs. Never thought about using them in the fogs. What do you think?

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I would get HID's only becuase I already have 6k in the headlight housing. I used cheapo LED's from china for my trunk and plate lights and it matches wonderfully. Now I need to get LED reverse bulbs and 3rd brake light to complete the deal. Still undecided what I am going to do about the side markers. Might just find a black car and cut the metal out to fit the side marker holes and try making it flush up.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Forum Regular

Looking at map lights. Do people usually go with the 360 degree or stick style as seen here?

The LEDs that I've seen kind of have a blue tint but I believe they are listed as white. Pictures that I've seen of LEDs that are blue, are a deeper blue correct?

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
bixenon , diode , dynamics , halogen , led

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode