Some Mods I've Been Working on - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Smile Some Mods I've Been Working on

I've got a '06 LS 5spd.. I've plowed 150k onto it thanks to my old job.. It's held up like a champ, other than the 2ndary intake control module, which I haven't replaced yet.. Now that I am a stay at home dad, I've decided she finally gets some love. Over the past few days I have:

(1) Removed the trunk to bang out a dent in the crease near the brake light, sanded it and repainted it. Repainted the spoiler as well (bought the SS spoiler some time ago after the other one got broken, but the SS one was green, my car is silver..) Now it matches!

(2) Ripped the seats, console and trim out of the interior, cleaned the upholstry and carpet (finally!!)

(3) Rewired a lot of my interior LEDs (I installed blue floor lights some time ago - they've worked for more than 4 years with no problems) I also installed white floor LEDs (LIKE A BMW) to brighten up the floor when you enter/exit the vehicle. (wired to the dome light)

Checked wires in headlights (Have the black projector HIDs - Halos and LEDs suck on them though to be honest..) I need to figure out what size the Halos are so I can get replacement ones that aren't LED and don't need a capactor or whatever. I like the direct wire 12v stuff.. Also going to install strobe lights into the old LED holes... Those things looked like crap anyway.. I am going to do an LED strip in each light (like an audi) at the bottom too.. What do you think?

Tomorrow I am:
Finishing the trunk paint, and clearcoating it.
Painting the console and trim to match my car's color (silver) and clearcoating it.

Cutting holes for the new LEDs for the back seats (in the console so they can't be knocked around) and placing protective plastic inside the console with a diffusing pattern (just to make it look professional.

I'll be uploading pics when it's all done!! I can't wait!!

P.S. From now on, I will be removing my seats any time I have to work on my ride.. so much freaking easier to get in/out...

Last but not least: I plan on installing a switch panel with touch switches in the headliner, just in front of the rear view mirror, with some mood lights (like a honda CRV that lights up the shifter) Any issues/worries about that? I don't have SRS as far as I know, so I don't see why it'd be an issue..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Veteran

Garage
Pictures?

[Insert signature here]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum Regular

Garage
Sounds like a lot of stuff to do! Good luck with it all!

Quick question though.... Why are you installing strobe lights into your LED holes? I assume you mean the LEDs on the headlights (like Gen3's perhaps?) and if so, I'd sure check with local laws first. Here in GA, and in a lot of other states, strobes on the outside of the vehicle are illegal unless you're Fire/Police/EMT and use the vehicle for response (same as red/blue lighting), or with special permits for DOT contractors, or actual DOT vehicles.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white balt View Post
Pictures?

[Insert signature here]
x2
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage

There we go!

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CobaltGirl View Post
Sounds like a lot of stuff to do! Good luck with it all!

Quick question though.... Why are you installing strobe lights into your LED holes? I assume you mean the LEDs on the headlights (like Gen3's perhaps?) and if so, I'd sure check with local laws first. Here in GA, and in a lot of other states, strobes on the outside of the vehicle are illegal unless you're Fire/Police/EMT and use the vehicle for response (same as red/blue lighting), or with special permits for DOT contractors, or actual DOT vehicles.
I was a field investigator in another life (that's what I retired from) so having them in the headlights would be a normal thing. I just removed my other strobe sticks recently. I am not going to run them unless I am going to a show. I'm mostly going to just use them to fill those holes.. LOL
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:51 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

like the ss wing and head lights.. i'd prob lose the fake scoop on the hood though and grab sum nice rims
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Forum Regular

Im new to cobalts is that a stock ss cobalt wing?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjrcustom1 View Post
Im new to cobalts is that a stock ss cobalt wing?
Yes,

And x2 about losing the hood scoops!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhinehart View Post
And x2 about losing the hood scoops!

X4 Especially when they were design for sides of fenders.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
About the hood scoops: They were a gift and I thought they'd look lame on the fenders (not a lot of room to play on those) so I put them on the hood LOL.. I'm not a huge fan either.. At least I painted them to match though! LOL! I plan on getting a new hood - with a functional scoop! Not sure which one yet though.. And a body kit too.. The stock LS kit is kind of weak sauce.. I had to cut to install fog lights, but with the low clearance, they didn't last long.. It's not like you can drill and install on the thing.. Not sure which kit I want to get though.. I'd like this to be a show car eventually.. It's got a long way to go!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
interior mod , led , paint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode