Cobalt Exterior Paint Work - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Cobalt Exterior Paint Work

Since there is not a paint and body section I'm going to consider this a ext. styling job as it is the exterior and I am styling the body so it is all one color. Here are a few shots of the car pre paint (looks like a geek squad car). In these pictures it is wet sanded with 400 grit and has been taped& papered and bagged for overspray protection. I will post base/coat pictures in a few minutes and will follow up with clear/coat pictures. i hope you enjoy the pictures and if you have any questions feel free to ask. ty all. Ken

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

OK here are some base/coat pics. The base is still flashing off in these pictures. in 1/2 hour i will be laying down 3 coats of high solids clear/coat...more pics soon.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Here it is clear coated...later today I will untape and tomorrow I will wet sand clear coat for any nibs or debris and buff it up, we have a front end alignment sceduled for 11 am..after that I will install mirrors and fender liner and any misc trim that is off for the paint work.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Oh ya...I will get a compled picture outside all buffed and assembled and lookin' good. That will be a day or two. For anyone that wants to see the work in progress I have a thread that has pictures and details the "ISSUES" I had working on it.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

I think this link will send you to that thread... https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/pro...ngine-ecm.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Please do mine!!!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

LOL...come on down. Your the next contestant..lol

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Where is down, I'm in MN so down could be very far away!!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Staff Alumni

That looks great, bodywork guys in halifax, ns just slap bodyfill on, give it a quick scuff and spray. Almost every car I see has a run down low or some form of dirt in the clear. Then within a year your rust is back, it looks like you take your time with things, the painting world needs more people like you...ppl that actually give a shit

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Good work, I read your thread with all the issues previously. Good to see the car is still coming along. Im ready to see some pics of after its buffed and with the mirrors and everything installed.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Wow guys...ty for the compliments. Yes i do try to put out work that looks good and will last . You may know that the car is for my girlfriend she saw it today and loves it. Only apx.6k miles on it. She wants to put purple and pink fineline pinstripe on it , 1/16 th inch . I have seen it on black cars...its bright , but doesnt look to bad (LIL SPLASH OF COLOR). I'm a little unsure but what the heck her car..right?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
Where is down, I'm in MN so down could be very far away!!
not too far...Iowa
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I noticed you taped off rear door, pretty confident the paint is going to match!!!

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I will see in a few minutes ...going out to untape after a cup of coffee. But black is one of the easiest colors especially when it is only a couple years old...if not I can tape and bag the car in half an hour and blend the door. easy peasy! That door was factory undamaged paint and if I can advoid breaking factory paint that is all the better. When taping up I did notice a couple itty bitty dinks in the hood but since they were not bodyworked and primed yet I just covered hood and painted what is ready....so if a blend is needed on the door i will do it when I paint hood..if door is ok I will remove hood and paint it off the car.Thanks for the question , but in short , im feeling pretty good about it.
Alignment today at 11 am thats what im worried about. car was hit pretty hard as you know hope there are no damaged steering parts in there like inner tie rod(which is the only thing I didnt replace on the damaged side). I put new strut and spindle assy in as well as new outer tie rod and replaced the steel wheel . It pulls right just a bit but steering wheel is at 11 o'clock position...it should straighten out when aligned .
All body panels were able to be put in a good gap position and the strut towers are square all the subframe bolts went in (by the way I replaced the sub frame as well) I'm think good thought and am very excited to complete this project....what to do next? Hummm Trans Am perhaps ? But that will take me a year to two years , I do have a tiberon rebuilder (91k miles) that has been awaiting paint , windshield , air bags , new carpet and has a misfire on #4 cyl . You guys want pics on that one?? I have been considering doing some kind of graphic job on that,the car is white , perhaps something like tear-away scallops in a cobalty blue with bright yellow accents. Some young kid would love that right?

Last edited by krjrcustom1; 07-28-2012 at 06:50 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Staff Alumni

If you want to take a picture of a tree in your back yard we'll look at it. gets away from reading only

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode