How to Install Power Door Locks on Base Model? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

How to Install Power Door Locks on Base Model?

Hi guys I'm looking to install power door locks on my Cobalt LS. I'm not looking to add the buttons inside the car for Lock/unlock, I more want a system that gives me a key fob remote- keyless entry I guess is what I'm looking for.

Has anyone done this who can give me a step by step?

I was looking to get universal actuators, and then connect them to an alarm system which has the door lock/unlock buttons on the remote.
Do I need anything else for this job?
Some kind of relay between the actuator and the alarm unit?
My friend and I will be tackling this task and he completed it on his car which was a 93 Civic but he justs want to make sure it is roughly the same installation even tho my cobalt is newer year, 2007.

Any help is greatly appreciated, please don't respond by saying I had them installed by a dealer or "my guy', that doesn't really help me and their are plenty of forum posts like that already that i've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Contributor

Garage
it is actually not that hard...

get a kit something like this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Conversion-Keyless-Remote-Control-Universal/dp/B007HRB15C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344623988&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+power+door+lock+kit
you would go into each door, and the actuator comes with a bar that clamps onto the existing lock bar that is in the door, then you mount the actuator so that it is solid, and run the wires to under the dash

after you have done that, you simply hook up the "brain" that the unit comes with, and test

I have done this on many cars...with many different units, some have a setup where if either front door is locked, it locks the other doors, but also had an input for a remote starter or alarm, I did this in my old cavalier, and loved the result

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Door-Lock-Kit/dp/B0002KR9Q6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344623988&sr=8-2&keywords=remote+power+door+lock+kit
that one would be like I just described, when the drivers door is locked, the other doors automatically lock, that gives you the ability to lock all the doors from the drivers side, without having to fumble with the remote

with that one though, you would need another module, such as a remote start or alarm to have the keyfobs to lock and unlock

you can just buy the actuators, and wire them up using relays and such, but it is MUCH easier to just buy the kit, cleaner install as well, and by the time you buy the individual actuators, you are almost to the cost of the full kit anyway

if you need any more guidance, feel free to ask

John
2008 Cobalt LT
SS springs and Stagg struts
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS
Memphis 16-MCH600 "Baby Belle" hybrid amplifier
MB quart Premium 6.5" componant/premium tweeters front
MB quart Premium 5.25 componant/premium tweeters rear
Memphis PR-10" sub in factory sub box

miles and miles of dynamat extreme...

Last edited by jignaczak; 08-10-2012 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. Yes it seems exactly like what my friend described to me when he did it for his 93 Civic. I only have a 2door cobalt and usually am the only one riding it so locking all the doors (only one other) doesn't really matter to me but I was pricing out buying 2 actuators, modules, an some kind of power lock fob system/alarm system that controls it all. Theirs so many options I guess.
Just buying some cheap Alarm system that has buttons for unlock/lock might be the way for me to go but then I believe I would need modules and actuators for each door as well which on eBay as well are $2-7 each. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If I'm gonna open up the door panel/dash might as well put in an alarm system in too. (I live in Boston)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Expert

Garage
Go the alarm route. All you need to add then is 2 actuators. Each door will take about 15-30 minutes

Alarm then controls the actuators
Really simple
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Contributor

Garage
You will need 2 relays and wiring if you just buy the actuators

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

John
2008 Cobalt LT
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Initiate

Does anyone have any pic of the front doors with the actuator installed. Not sure how to mount them in the front.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jignaczak View Post
You will need 2 relays and wiring if you just buy the actuators

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Not if hooked up to an alarm. Wiring obviously, but its just a simple lock or unlock signal sent by the alarm module. If using a switch, yes youll need relays
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Contributor

Garage
The relays would still be required if just buying actuators, the alarm just has a basic negative or positive lock/unlock pulse, you would need relays to covert that to enough power to activate the actuators, now, if you buy a kit, they accept a lock/unlock pulse

John
2008 Cobalt LT
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
I just made a guide for it https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30538 hope it helps its pretty easy to do

2007 Cobalt LS Ultra Silver Metallic 5-speed GMPP Catback Exhaust ZZP header and downpipe Supercharged 77.9mm pulley
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran

Your always best bet will be the alarm, if you buy the alarm and locks for the door they will be 1. easier for you or whom ever is installing and 2. cheaper in a way...
Not really much of a science to install the power locks nor the power windows...

if you are doing this your self best advice I have is PATIENCE, be very patience and take your time to analyze what you are doing and make sure you have the necessary tools handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
actuator , install , keyless entry , power door lock

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode